X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

1. livebriand

livebriand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried disabling PXE booting and checking the boot order?

If it still fails with that, and assuming you installed Windows with both drives in, the bootloader might be on the mSATA drive. I'm not real clear on what Windows usually does with this, but I do know that it's generally good practice to disconnect all but the OS drive when installing to keep the bootloader in check. Though FWIW, I ran a desktop with 2 hard drives for years, had the OS only on the primary drive, and never had an issue keeping the second drive in during setup or removing it from the setup at points.

2. david1274

david1274 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi

Windows (8) is on the SSD in the HDD bay. The msata drive is empty and reformatted. That is the puzzling thing. Why, when I take out the msata, Windows won't load from the SSD but when I put the msata back (which is always an empty disk), Windows loads from the SSD? :D

I already checked that the SSD was first boot drive in the bios but will give it another go and look for any option to disable 'PXE booting'.

Thanks!

3. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

PXE is an attempt to boot from the network.

I don't have a *20 series machine - let alone with W8 - around here to check, but you should be able to exclude that option in BIOS. At least I think so...

Good luck.

4. oct

oct Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I need to replace my X230t keyboard. My question, should I be aware of anything while getting one? I mean, are there any bad batches of keyboards or updated versions that I should get or avoid? The thing is I have a W530 too, and keyboard looks a bit different, shinier (not from usage) and Fn keys are white(r), than the new x230t i just received, so I wonder if I should get that one instead of x230 specifically.

Thank you in advance.

5. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    Just be mindful that all the keyboards out there are not backlit and that even though some other model keyboards will fit, but the backlight will not work if it is not specifically meant for the xseries.

Example, the t430 keyboard is the same size and comes with a backlight but it is not activated for the X-series.

6. oct

oct Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know. Thank you.

7. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone --

Anyone have any suggestions with regards to my auto-rotate (when I convert into tablet mode; not ACTIVE rotate) not working sometimes? It's intermittent I think. I'm thinking it has to do with Windows installing drivers and overriding Lenovo drivers. I tried to launch Lenovo Update and Drivers utility to see if it identifies the driver that will restore auto-rotation, but upon launching the utility, I get the following message, "System Update has detected a serious problem loading language files and can not continue."

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated. Cheers.

8. yayo685

yayo685 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi David,

Not sure if you still need help with this or not but it sounds like you have actually installed your Windows Boot Loader on the mSATA drive to me. I run into this quite a bit when i try to setup dual boot or separate HDD's with OS's to boot independently.

You might be able to reinstall the boot loader if you run whatever version of Windows on your PC again with the mSATA disk out and try to perform a repair. This in theory should reinstall the Windows Boot Loader for you.

9. david1274

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info!

10. david1274

Reputations:
    Thanks Yayo, will bear that in mind!