X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trainman261

trainman261 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've never tried it myself, but if you're worried about the price-to-gigabyte ration, there's always this which I posted a while ago:
    Newegg.ca - Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1
    This is only one place I found it at, it could be that it's cheaper at other places.

2. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! I got the EVO but I still stuck with the Crucial Ram. I still saved more than a $100 compared to going with the Samsung Pro.

Now the wait for the laptop begins. Its been 13 days since I ordered.
    What is a normal waiting time for a Lenovo Laptop ordered from the official website?
    I checked the status, it still says CTO. Estimated ship date is 16th. Will it help if I call them to make them ship it faster?
    Tired of waitinggg!

3. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It will take about a week or so after it ships. I doubt calling them will do much.

4. ddong

ddong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last message's from October, ouch... But anyways : I'm looking for a Thinkpad X, i prefer the x230 over the x240 and can get a good one for a good price now. I read some reviews, mostly on notebookcheck as usual, and i was shocked to see the temperature... According to their test the x230's is heating like crazy compared to x220/x240... Check it please: Lenovo ThinkPad X230 2306-2AU Laptop Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews and tell me what you think about it...

5. hp79

hp79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are kidding, right? Prefer X230 over X240? Unless it's the price. If you care at all about battery life and heat, you can't beat Haswell.
    Also, for the temperatures comparing x230 vs x220, I'm pretty sure x220 is much hotter than x230. Don't trust everything the reviewers say. All the reviews for WD routers praise how good they are, when in fact all of them are total crap.
    Wife has x220, I had a x230T so I can't really compare the two. Anyways, I would get a core-i3 x240 instead of x230/x220 core-i7 if the budget was an issue.

I sold my x230t and bought a Haswell rMBP13. Loving the build quality, screen resolution, low temperature, and real long battery life.

6. ddong

Reputations:
    Well the x240 surely got better battery and temperatures BUT i would pay double to get the most basic x240 compared to that x230 with i7.. And the reason i prefer the x230 is of course price but also the ports..!!

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I reviewed the X230 in 2012. I didn't seem to run any hotter or be more noisy than my X220i. I suppose like any machine, if you push it, you'll get more heat and noise.

8. Jack Watts

Jack Watts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I always thoroughly enjoy Notebookcheck's reviews, but I think you have to take into account 1) the relevance of the test, and 2) variance among samples. They're only testing 1 of each model, and the earliest firmware versions (in most cases). My own experience is quite a bit different. I had 2 different X220's and I'm currently using an X230. My X230 runs significantly cooler (by 2-3C doing the same benchmark testing), the CPU consistently is 3-5C cooler doing the same stuff, and the fan is quieter (than my first X220, the second one was equally quiet).

My own X230 runs plenty cool, several orders of magnitude cooler than older TP's I've used or a MBA. The tests under which they measure temps aren't real world conditions for most users. Also, note that during notebookcheck's review, they never experienced any throttling during the testing, so any potential heat issues aren't going to affect performance. If it really became a comfort issue, you could always install TPFC and set some more aggressive levels for the fans, but for me the stock cooling on the fan works great.

9. hp79

hp79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, I see. If it's that much difference, then no can do. I know they usually have great sales on first couple weeks of product release. I paid $1050 for X230T (i5 with everything) with 2 year warranty back then when it was first released. I remember X220 with i7 was around $800, and so was the X230 when it was first released. It was Barnes & Noble EPP discount or something like that. My X230T was cool and quiet most the time but I didn't like how bulky that thing was. Compared to the X230 it is bulkier, but does a better job on removing heat. The battery life of the X230T was not that great, at 4-5 hours (of course, better than the X220T though). So are you getting a X230 for about $500?

Having been using a rMBP13 for over two months now, I really hate looking at my 1080p 27" samsung monitor (1 meter distance). I don't think I'll be able to forgive Thinkpad's low resolution screen any more even though it is IPS panel. Quality is not what it used to be either. My X230T was cherry picked, and I had to return 2 bad ones (warped bottom, warped lid cover), and it still had some design problems (screen rubbing the keyboard's two upper corners).

Anyways, good luck on the laptop hunt!

10. ddong

Reputations:
    As said, the one i can get (soon unavalaible..!!) has got an i7... Which means more heat i guess..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.