X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    You're right....I forgot this was the 6-cell

2. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the comparison Gerry!!
    This helps me a lot . It does look considerably thicker than the mbp but the upside is that it runs a lot cooler i guess (i've had a mbp before and I know how it can burn on your lap!!)

And yes, My G73 is the same deal. a 17" beast of a laptop that weighs 4kgs and more with the brick adaptor!!!
    It doesn't help that the battery life is 15minutes, thus I have to carry the brick power everywhere plus the laptop. OH MY BACK!
    Weight wise, I guess the X230 is actually lighter than the mbp am I right? ( at least thats what I got comparing specs )
    Actually, my biggest issue aesthetically is the keyboard and the sides. Waaayyy to many buttons. When the laptop is closed, it looks quite pretty with the minimalist look.
    But I guess when I get a feel for the trackpoint I will learn to appreciate the look more?

That was what triggered me to put x230 on the list. All the ultrabooks on the market may be sooper sexy looking but none of them is as upgradeable as this. And the fact that we live in an era where the market is dominated by Ultrabooks or Desktop replacements, its harder to find something in between portability and upgradeability/power.
    Guess I will just have to live with the aesthetics if i want that much power. Its like they say "its the heart that counts"

Now what would a good price be? I heard many people pushing me to buy second hand at a super low price, but I couldn't find a second hand x230 with the processor I want (i5 3M 3.6GHz turbo)
    Whereas on Lenovo website, for that CPU and 8GB of ram (1 DIMM), It comes up to about $1000. I will also upgrade with SSD and maybe another 8GB ram in the future.
    Which I don't mind spending since I have the budget and its WAY WAY cheaper than the Vaio Pro for WAY better specs.
    But I still want to know, could I get better deal on the Lenovo site if I wait? (currently its 10% off total price and since I am in CA, that just means I get to void sales tax)

3. trainman261

trainman261 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Honestly, you asked not to have this said, but still, don't buy your computer for the looks, unless it's really ugly.
    Besides that, I don't exactly think the X230 (I have the tablet version) looks bad. I have gotten compliments on my X230T - except I never quite know if they're talking about the looks or about the fact that I'm using it in a position that for me is old (after using it for almost a year and a half), but for everyone else is like "Holy **** **** **** **** what is that?" Surprisingly enough, this form factor is still pretty unknown. I personally find it looks very, well, should I say manly (which is perfect for me). I've also noticed that having a backlit keyboard makes the computer look a lot sexier, the only problem being that every time the computer goes into sleep, the backlit keyboard is turned off, and doesn't come back on. It is easy to turn it on, though, Fn+Space, which is a really easy combination. It could be that it's just on the tablet model, so that when you put it to sleep and you're in tablet mode, it doesn't turn the keyboard backlight on again - although an automatic solution to switch it off when in tablet mode would have been nicer.
    Back to the look of the whole thing, I personally really like the look of the white-on-black with the "red accent" - the trackpoint and the trackpoint buttons. The blue-ish color of the backlight does detract from that a bit, if you have it on, if there's enough light to clearly see the non-backlit portions of the computer. The whole thing also has a bit of a rough look, it looks like it could withstand anything (although from my experience, that's not the case). It also has a certain amount of a "clean" look - not as in actually clean, mine has crumbs, hairs, dust, strings from clothes, and stuff I don't even know what it is on it - but it's mostly square, has a fairly simple design, has clearly marked borders, and doesn't really have anything sticking out. As for bulkyness, I wouldn't consider mine bulky, not to mention the non-tablet version is thinner and lighter than mine. The only aspect that isn't too great is the shape of most of the keyboard keys - it might look a little like a kid's toy to some, but that could well just be me.
    You asked for sexy pictures, here are some (though they're not all sexy):
    IMG_20130927_034027.jpg IMG_20130927_034127.jpg IMG_20130927_034537.jpg IMG_20130927_034626.jpg IMG_20130927_224543.jpg IMG_20130927_224558.jpg

4. trainman261

Reputations:
    A couple more:
    IMG_20130927_224609.jpg IMG_20130927_224655.jpg IMG_20130927_224708.jpg
    Never mind the fingerprints on the screen, you won't have that problem since you're getting the non-tablet version. Also, I have a glossy screen protector, so that also changes things. The non-tablet version does have a bit of a different look, but I hope this gives you an idea what it looks like.

5. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    All I can say is I have a macbook, the x230t, and three other notebooks....the x230t is my daily driver that goes with me wherever I go.

I think that says a lot.

I probably would not have gotten the tablet version---I almost never use it that way. The one thing about the macbook that I wish the x230 had was the touchpad...gosh, I love the macbook touchpad. Everything else about the x230 is better for daily use.

6. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish mine had the backlit keyboard. Then again, I wish I had an Ivy Bridge instead of a Sandy Bridge i3, a webcam, a fingerprint reader, etc.. But, when the Lenovo Outlet has about a hundred new listed for $484, you take what you can get :)

And that's worth looking at, Ryuuga: you can occasionally get really good deals...although the outlet normally will limit you to 1 year depot warranty rather than being upgradeable to a better warranty. (Or, you can get really lucky and slip through the cracks like I did: I still have the full 3 year warranty on mine, minus the 8 months I've been using it).

The X230T was my daily driver during pretty much that entire time, so much so that I sold the workstation laptop I had (HP EliteBook 8560w, i7 quad w/ 16GB RAM, IPS 1080p, and dual SSDs), because the Thinkpad was doing everything I needed, from general browsing to running virtual machines. It's a tiny work horse.

I've spent most of my time on the MBA since I bought it (used) last month, but that's mostly in an effort to learn OSX for work. If I need to actually accomplish something more than web browsing, I just get back on the Thinkpad.

7. trainman261

Reputations:
    Sorry about that, mod please delete.

8. Ryuuga

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the smexy pictures!
    Yes I fully agree that Thinkpads look more manly than sexy. Probably thats one of the reasons why I am having a hard time accepting it, cause y'know how all my gadgets are ladies and I give them lady names.... *ahem*
    Anyways, yes because of its bulkiness and man-someness, I could not imagine a woman using this at starbucks or something.

All that hair and crumbs is proof you use it to its core!

I considered the tablet version, but it doesn't seem like productivity software(music software in my case) on Windows OS is moving towards incorporating special touch gestures yet. Until I can write music with my finger or something, I will wait it out a couple of years.

Thanks for the suggestion, Just took a peek at the outlet and they only had one X220 for sale and even that costs $1k with i7. I think my i5 ivy bridge is more worth it plus I get a newer HD4000 graphics just in case i get bored.

Thats exactly what I am looking for, a tiny workhorse. Well, Thanks you guys for all your input I think I'll be ordering my X230 and then I'll hv to wait a couple weeks until it arrives for me to play with it.

One last tiny issue, I realized the CTRL and FN buttons are flipped, is it possible to physically and software-ly(is this even a word) flip it back?

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can flip them in the BIOS, but the keys are not the same size, which would make swapping them difficult.

10. Ryuuga

Reputations:
    Thats a little awkward...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.