X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nastrodamous

nastrodamous Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How do you guys find 1366 x 768 on a 12.5 screen? Usable or should I look elsewhere? Ill just be writing basic papers, doing touch ups on code, and watching videos(twitch.tv)

2. oxf77

oxf77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could someone please do me a HUGE favour? Could somebody with an x230(t) please post a print screen up of how Visual Studio looks with 1366 x 768 resolution?

Failing not having Visual Studio- just a screenshot of something comparable?

3. elTeck

elTeck Newbie

Reputations:
    I would also like to see a screenshot of what Visual Studio looks like...

4. rthur

rthur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's a screenshot, give me a heads up if you want a different view open.
    I find most IDE's to be quite usable as long as all the windows (console output, errors, file hierarchy) aren't open at the same time - most of my programming is done on a bigger external monitor though.

Capture.JPG

5. trainman261

trainman261 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't use Visual Studio, but I do use Eclipse (I'm doing development for Android), and I have to say that it is a bit cramped (I can upload a screenshot later if anyone is interested). On the other hand, that touchscreen-and-wacom-pen portable external monitor (which was more like a tablet) sounded interesting when I last heard of it... I guess I hate being constricted when it comes to where I can do my stuff.

6. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    I also think the resolution is insufficient to do any serious work for a long time. Would have loved to see a traditional styled x240t with 1080p :(

7. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same here.

Well maybe there is still some hope until new laptops T440, W540 are announced.

8. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!!
    So I am on a quest to look for a more portable laptop for music writing/sequencing/recording. Currently sporting an Asus G73jx for obvious reasons, but it does all my music programs without problems. As expected, it is just WAYYY to clunky and heavy to bring ANYWHERE.
    I need a portable powerful solution.
    THUS, I looked into the newer Haswell notebooks that recently released and got my eyes on Vaio Pro. But.... WOOOH its so pricey for the specs, even though it is one sexy muthaf- it has a much much weaker ULV cpu. I need a full mobile CPU that also has enough battery power to last 6-ish hours plus minus.
    That brought my quest to the Vaio Z latest edition. It has enough power that I want as well as the sleek sexy design and portability. But obviously it is now discontinued and extinct.

Next best thing on the list that came up was X230 (hurray)
    full mobile cpu, check;
    enough batt life, check;
    weight, pretty light;
    enough power? upgradable ram and SSD, double check;
    Sexiness......? OH NOOOO

I'm sorry but Thinkpads just isn't really aesthetically appealing to me. They look like bulky bricks!! (even though I really shouldn't complain because if that is a brick, then my Asus G73 is a brick house)
    That said, I want to know how bulky it actually is in real life. I've read the specs and 25mm is a liiiitle too thick to be an ultraportable notebook. But if anyone has a Macbook Pro, would you mind take a side by side photo comparison with X230 so i can get a better idea how thick is actually is?

How do you guys cope with the thickness? or if anyone here who is like my skeptical about the design, how do you cope with a design that seems like its from the 80s?
    Cause really, the only thing that is holding me back from clicking BUY is the design. If some of you have some sexy pics of your X230, now is the time to show them!

Inb4 "don't buy a laptop for the aesthetics" and "go back to your applef@g"
    I DO like my gadgets to look pretty. I love to look at them while using them and know that I have spent good money on a lovely sexy device that is also powerful at the same time.

9. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    This is a 15-inch macbook pro and a x230t (the convertable with the rotating screen) with a 9-cell battery, which adds some considerable thickness to it

You can see in the closeup how it folds around the back end. The 6-cell is about 5/8 to 7/16 of an inch thinner.

Even with the extra thickness and weight of the 9-cell battery, this laptop is infintely lighter than the 17-inch beast I used to carry around (and OCZ whitebook), and the tiny little power adapter is an added plsu when compared to the LITERAL brick the old OCZ had.

Aesthetically, when the laptop is open and you are working with it, the Lenovo keyboard actually adds a little style to it, but no, it is not going to win any design awards.

(click to zoom)

x230macboksxs1.jpg

x230macboksxs3.jpg

x230macbooksxs2.jpg

10. NecessaryEvil

NecessaryEvil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a couple issues with that....

The X230t's extended battery is a 6 cell, with the standard smaller one a 3 cell.

If it were an X230 (non-tablet), it would be a 9 cell for the extended, with a 6 cell for the standard battery.

I've got a MacBook Air which is thinner and could be considered more portable, but my X230t is a better laptop, in my opinion. I can put up to an i7, dual hard drives (2.5" + MSATA), having a docking station, etc.

Personally, I like the aesthetics of the Thinkpad. It's just a classic look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.