X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought of checking for that, there are quite a few options in the settings for the touchpad. However I do like to use it for the two finger scrolling and sometimes it was easier to use for the pointer then the trackpoint was.

It was kind of odd, I tried to use it as "tap to click" that is common with most touchpads, but you actually had to "press down to click". Although if you use the touchpad to mouse around and then "tap to click" it works fine. It's almost as if it's programmed to detect if you've used the trackpoint or the touchpad and then it enables/disables the tap to click according. It would've been a little easier using the tap to click. The whole pressing down takes too much force when you're used to the regular buttons. As I sit here and type on my X230T I can't believe how comfortable this keyboard is.

2. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I might be interested in a X230 so I have a question please.

I think I'm going to choose the Windows 8 option because it lets you choose the non-backlit keyboard. When Windows 7 is selected, the backlit keyboard is standard. I am just a bit curious as to how you guys like Windows 8 on your X230. I understand that a start button can be installed but overall, how do you feel about the operating system in day to day use? In terms of ease of use, stability, performance, etc. Also, is there any difference in battery life compared with Windows 7?

Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

3. OtherSongs

OtherSongs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Odds are that battery life is the same (Win7 vs Win8). Flip a coin?

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    This has been my experience as well.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Any notebook purchased with Windows Professional 8 comes with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional. If you want the standard keyboard without backlight, you buy with W8P, get a disc and do the downgrade yourself. Buying a non-backlight keyboard and swapping it in is another option.

6. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the X230T with Windows 8. With the touchscreen Windows 8 is a little more appropriate, without a touchscreen I don't think Windows 8 would be very worthwhile. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but tolerate it for the touchscreen aspect. I don't use the metro ui much, most of the apps on there I find are kludgy, buggy and just don't work right. That's the built-in apps anyway. The third party apps there aren't much of, but there are some that could be useful I suppose. I mainly just click out to the desktop and stay there most of the time. It may be my laptop, but I find wifi to be a bit flakey on Windows 8 as well.

I do like the backlit keyboard, I don't use it much but it sure comes in handy when you need it. Just a quick Fn-Spacebar to toggle it.

The other downside to Windows 8 is that some of the Lenovo Software (like Power Manager) aren't available under Win 8. I miss a couple of their tools that I wish were in there.

I run Win 7 on my desktop and split time between them. I have no problem moving between systems, they are very similar in most respects.

7. Mide

Mide Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I just got an x230 and it came with an aftermarket charger. Does anyone know:

1) What was the model of the OEM charger?
    2) Would a 90W 20A one like (40Y7659) or (42t4434) work OK?

Trying to find one on Ebay...

8. trainman261

trainman261 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, sorry for the late response (I haven't been paying much attention to this thread recently). The charger I got with my X230T is a 65W 20V charger. Mine is the tablet version, but I'm pretty sure there's no difference between the two in terms of chargers. The model number printed on my charger is 45N0121. On the other hand, while you're buying a charger in the first place, you should probably go ahead and get the 90W charger as long as there isn't a huge price difference, because your laptop will charge up a lot quicker with that extra power, especially if you're using it at the same time. So, pretty much any 90W 20V (I'm pretty sure you don't mean a 20A charger...) will do, as long as the plug for the laptop is the right one (and it's good quality).

9. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    There are several part numbers for both the 90W and 65W adapters. Both of the part numbers you listed should work fine.

10. Mide

Mide Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to hear, yeah I'll just go for the most legit looking 90W. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.