X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No Flicker as far as I can tell, and never heard of it on the X230T.

No Wifi Blink, indicator stays solid on mine.

2. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    First of all thanks for the answers.

About flicker, I'm worry because I saw this video:
    Lenovo ThinkPad X230T - Screen Quality - Extra Clips - YouTube

At min 3:27 is where you can see the effect more clear, side by side he compare the Lenovo x230t with another laptop, the lenovo flicker and the other one not.

Other thing that is kicking my mind is this other video:
    Lenovo ThinkPad X230T - Screen Wobbling - YouTube

I know he is forcing the situation, but it's a good method to know what will happen in the near future, but compared to other videos about x220t or x201t, it's day and night. Yours do the same?

If wifi don't blink, what a hell of indicator, pretty useless. Any way to solve it? I mean on the manual clearly say it blinks:

from x230t_x230it_hmm_en_0b48730_02.pdf page 50/44.

I know this was working before as I own two thinkpads, A30 and R51, and both blink when data is transferred. They even blink slower/faster depending the speed.

PD: I can sound a little paranoic, but in my country this is not a cheap and I can't physically see the laptop before I buy and can't return it either if I dislike.

3. cbutters

cbutters Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I too have pretty sharp eyes and noticed some slight flickering with my x230 tablet. It seems that the panel at default runs at 50hz... probably some sort of power saving design choice. However it is easily remedied because you can go into the monitor settings of the intel graphics control panel and adjust the refresh rate up to 60hz manually... I confirm that I no longer notice any "flickering" and the vsync rate in video games is now 60 rather than 50.
    My guess at the flickering you see in the video is because of the fact that lighting generally flickers at a constant 120hz, which matches up with 60hz screens and match up with 60fps video recordings.... I think the 50hz panel of the thinkpad shows up especially bad in videos, but in real life it isn't quite as bad... but noticeable at 50hz... but even so, it is easily remedied by manually setting the panel to 60hz... and done!

4. trainman261

trainman261 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know that by default, the screen is set to 50Hz as some power saving feature, you have to set it to 60Hz, because otherwise there is a bit of a wave effect in the areas you're not looking at.
    As to the screen wobbling, I've had my X230T for almost a year now, and I'm pretty sure I can assume I won't have wobbling issues over at least the next 5 years I'm planning to use it over. I have never had any problems with the screen wobbling - I've used it in cars in laptop mode before and other bumpy areas and never had any problems. If there is anything I would be worried about, it would be the rotating motion, but then, I haven't exactly been careful with my hinge either.
    As to the light, I think it's more meant as a Wireless On/Off light.

5. ParticleX

ParticleX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My X230 died on me :(

Here's my e-mail to Lenovo

6. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks both for your answers.

The problem with this kind of flicker is that only cameras get this effect more clear. If it do that on 50hz, I bet it do same at 60hz, just at faster speed. Our eyes correct this effect, going up/down really fast so they disimulate the effect. And at this "fast" speed of 60hz you can only notice after some time in front of the screen or recording with cameras.

If I'm correct this is caused by the PWM effect, and it's more clear at lower brightness rader than higher. You can always take your Smartphone or camera, and see if still do at 60hz.

That's is not what manual said, and definitely not what is meant for. On old IBM/Lenovos it work this way:

off = wifi off
    on= wifi on
    Blink = data transferred (This blink also change with speed)

For what I want a LED that said me that it's on/off when you can always see this on task bar or opening a browser? I think I will ask at lenovo forum, maybe there is a solution.

7. cbutters

cbutters Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Point taken... you still may be able to see the refresh rate flicker.. If I look really close at monitors at 60hz I can see it as well. but my point is.... all lcd screens have this effect.... and almost all laptop screens are 60hz refresh rate... so my point is that the thinkpad isn't any worse than any other laptop lcd screen (except when set to 50hz possibly)... only a few lcd panels will go above 60hz to 75hz or 85hz and some desktop panels will do up to 120hz. but my point is that the thinkpad screen isn't any worse, and is in fact much better in terms of color, being an IPS screen vs TN... The bottom line being: I don't think the screen should detract from your decision to purchase since it does not flicker any more than any other laptop.

Also... I wanted to confirm that on Windows 8 Pro x64 my turbo boost on my i7-3520m x230 tablet is working just fine... I get 3.60ghz in superpi... it takes a full 4 minutes of this before the heat makes it throttle back to 3.40ghz.. But the turbo boost is definitely working... I did not install any special turbo boost drivers, it seemed to just work.

8. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry but you are wrong, there are a lot of laptops, PC screens that don't flicker at all. My main reason to change my laptop is that mine flicker and I saw some that don't flicker. A good example of this are PLS from Samsung, but I know there a lot more IPS out there that don't flicker either, recent BenQ has release all his new line of products with flicker free displays.

Another thing, is that the flicker just get disimulated at higher refrest rates, but the effect it's not cuaused by that. Take a look at this article and you will understand better:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

Beleive me, maybe you dont notice now, or don't disturb you too much. But after 2 years of use your eyes will tell something different as mine are doing right now.

If they were other options out there this will be a no no decision for me, but unfortunly there is nothing close out there :( So now, I'm again in a sea of doubts.

9. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested I have found a very nice article explaining the flicker we are sufering in most LED backlight panels:

http://www.s q u i d o o.com/led-backlight-flicker

(remove spaces, don't know why, but forum remove the domain)

And also if you are interested I think I've found a solution for the wifi led not blinking when transmiting data (I've not tested my self, as I don't own the x230t yet, but might work):

10. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    You're link does not work.

FWIW, I have never noticed a flicker on my screen that I have been using for over a year now. Also, my screen does not wobble forward, back, left or right, although I can physically move it left and right due to the single point of contact in the middle..

Over a year of use, these are the "defects" i've had/noticed.

Keyboard popped a key early on. Had to replace the keyboard as there was nothing I could do to keep it in place after it initially popped. This happened on day 3 of owning it.

The FUNCTION keys are slightly higher than the rest of the keyoard and when the lid is closed it has resulted in a screen bruise in the lower right corner where the corner of the END or INSERT key constantly presses into the screen when the lid is closed.

Rubber feet on the battery fall off. If your's are loose or falling off, users should glue them on with something substantial like Gorilla Glue or Superglue because replacing them is nigh impossible. They don't sell them individually, but sell them as part of a "rubber kit", which Lenovo wants to charge $40 for. and only one is in the kit with a bunch of other rubber pieces sprinkled throughout the laptop.

Screen bleed on LCD when starting.

The "tablet" function seems very neat, especially with Windows 8, but I almost never, ever use it. Plus, there are only two points of contact on it so it is not 100% windows 8 functional.

That all sounds bad, when added up, but I am still very pleased with the laptop and have bought several for businesses. Love the size and weight, battery life, and while it was my first concern, have come to love the keyboard. I am constantly surprised how much of a difference the "cupping" makes in touch typing, as well as the overall quality of the keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.