X230(t) Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Commander Wolf, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanzaborn33

sanzaborn33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Recently received my X230 with Win 8 Pro preinstalled through the Barnes and Noble site. Deal was just too damn good not to bite. In any case, I'm really making an effort and learning all the shortcuts with Win 8 but I'm still having concerns whether or not I'll stick it out or wipe for Win 7 Pro. Regardless, the laptop as a whole is exactly what I wanted as the all around mobile, everyday use around the house notebook while my W530 sits in it's rightful place on my desk. The screen on the x230 is gorgeous, (puts my older T420 to shame!), with the i7-3520 having no issues running Vmware workstation 9, and with the Samsung 840 pro 256Mb ssd the systems is insanely responsive. My ONLY gripe is the touchpad!

The touchpad is just so inaccurate and jumpy. I'll move the cursor along and then click on a web link and next thing I know the cursor jumped and I accidentally clicked a link for free pills! (no really, I wasn't trying to click that link).

So far I've adjusted all Synaptics sensitivity settings to different levels, reinstalled the Lenovo drivers as well as drivers directly from Synaptics, and now just called Lenovo support for a replacement palm-rest with new touchpad. Either it's just a crappy touchpad and that's all there is to it, or the drivers under Windows 8 just haven't matured yet. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker for me but it is an absolute pain-in-the- considering every other Thinkpad I've owned has a touchpad that has or does perform flawlessly. As a test, I might try installing Win7 on another ssd in the x230 and see if the touchpad works well under that environment.

Just my 2 cents for now. --Sanza

2. shiin

shiin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was wondering about the fan noise / heat to expaect of the X230 in Windows 7 / ubuntu while doing light tasks - i.e. browsing this forum, watching non HD movies online, text editing, ... . I currently have a company's X220i (lowest specs) at home for testing. It runs a default Ubuntu 12.04 LTS distribution with all updates, but no special settings applied. With this setup, the fan already starts blowing audibly and producing a steady flow of hot air while browsing this forum; then, trying to play a youtube video sends it spinning really fast.

Is this expected behaviour and do I have to expect the same noise from a X230? If it is not normal, is there a way to fix it (i.e. it's only an ubuntu problem / special settings are needed / ...) ?

3. skinnie

skinnie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WIth WIndows 7 and Linux Mint 13 (only applied kernel 3.6.6) I barelly can hear the fan.
    Only in youtube I start hearing (if I am on a silent enviromnet).

4. sirbeta

sirbeta Newbie

Reputations:
    I have both X220 and X230. X230 is supposed to be hotter, but I think both are equally and pleasantly quiet under average load in Win7.

5. haquocdung

haquocdung Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That sounds great, I haven't tried Win 8 yet. But I am willing to learn. I demo at the store and it's not actually that bad. It makes more focus on what I am doing, rather than multi task.

6. sungman

sungman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Just disable it and use the trackpoint, the touchpad is garbage

7. jjesusfreak01

jjesusfreak01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Seconded. I see people complain about the touchpad, and I'm just like, "and your point is what? are you admitting to using the touchpad?"

8. shiin

shiin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To be fair, when someone is used to a touchpad with good gesture support, using a trackpoint can be seen as a real setback. But this also depends on your primary usage. If it is mainly focused on typing (coding, shell, ...), the trackpoint is much more convenient when mastered. But when doing recreational things for which you don't need the keyboard that much (web browsing, managing photos, ...), the touchpad -or a mouse for that matter- is much more convenient. For example, I found myself really liking the circular scrolling and forward / backward gestures in the web browser. Also, in my opinion, the X2*0 touchpad is best use together with the trackpoint buttons.

9. amnu12

amnu12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    howdy all,

i bought my x230t way back in July and have loved it. Im thinking of upgrading to windows 8 pro and doing some research before i put it on. what drivers do i need to download to a USB before a clean install of windows 8 pro? Is the ThinkVantage System Updater still reliable in grabbing the correct/ most up to date driver? Does the Stylus still work as great as it did in windows 8?

i also ran the compatbility checker with the upgrade program and received the
    Im just kinda wondering what these mean in terms of loss of functionality/feature with an upgrade. has lenovo updated these drivers or firmware for download? the one that concerns me is the ISD Tablet one .

10. Jack Watts

Jack Watts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regarding the touch pad, I pretty much couldn't use it until I did two things:

1) I installed the drivers from this dude here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-...oll-two-finger-scrolling-done-right-more.html

It looks like there's now a Windows8 version. This works so much better than what came with the computer, it's really hard to describe.

2) my touchpad had a ton of free play on the bottom "click" section. This seems to be due to manufacturing tolerances. One of my X220's had the same issue, and one didn't. Basically, the bottom part had about 2mm of travel before it actually activated the buttons. The end result was that the touchpad always felt "loose", and when using it, the touch pad would move up and down, no matter how lightly I pressed. They don't all do this, but some do. So, I removed the palm rest, shimmed it with paper and basically deactivated the buttons on the touchpad. No biggie, I prefer the buttons above the touchpad anyway. Now, the touchpad doesn't move and is nice and solid.

As far as touchpad vs. trackpad, I never really got why there's a war about this? I like and use both. It depends where my hands are. I don't feel special because I use the trackpoint, like I'm in on some secret method or something. There are things that are easier done w/the touchpad, IMO, and I've been using the trackpoint almost since the beginning. It's nice to have the option of having and using both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.