1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

X220T vs. X230T

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by davidenko, Jun 17, 2012.

1. davidenko

davidenko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Need some advice choosing in between a X220T and a X230T. Is $100 more worth the backlit keyboard and slightly improved CPU/GPU? I also get half the battery capacity (X230T is 3 cell, X220T is 6 cell) however the X230T is more efficient, so the battery life could be similar. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I posted a thread earlier before Lenovo updated the X220T prices to undercut the X230T, so now I'm undecided again.

ThinkPad X230 Tablet - 1 Year Depot Warranty
    Intel Core i5-3320M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
    12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
    UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
    500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
    Fingerprint Scanner
    720P Camera
    Backlit Keyboard
    3 Cell Battery X67
    ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
    Mobile Broadband upgradable
    1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

$1,056.75

VS.

ThinkPad X220t - 1 Yr Depot Topseller Warranty
    Intel Core i5-2520M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50GHz)
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
    12.5" Multitouch HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    Intel® HD Graphics 3000
    4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
    TrackPoint and TouchPad
    500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
    Fingerprint Scanner
    720P Camera
    6 Cell Battery X52+
    ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
    Mobile Broadband ready (no mobile broadband module)
    1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

$951.75

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    Personally i would just get the X220t. Reasons been battery life is similar and there is no propietary battery authentication chip. Also having tested the x230t it is not much faster then the X220t in terms of raw CPU power, but the GPU is slightly faster.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It all depends on your tastes. The X230 tablet in terms of CPU power doesn't offer much more, sure if you do rendering, but then who does rendering on a 12" tablet. Sure GPU is MUCH more powerful, HD 4000 is like 2-3x more powerful than HD 3000 (4650M levels vs HD 2600M). But you also have to use that new keyboard, which is a 50/50 if you'll like it or not. Plus all CTO tablets are shipping from China right now, while there are PLENTY of X220 tablets on sale preconfigured.

4. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So close I think I'd flip a coin personally! I like the backlit keyboard option enough that at $100 difference I'd go with the X230t just to get that (although I see you don't have that configured, so maybe you don't care). And you get a faster processor and better graphics. I also kind of get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing something is a new release and not last years technology, but that's hardly logical reasoning to go on.

Of course, as the others have mentioned if you don't care about the slightly better processor and graphics performance and like to go with a keyboard you know and save money, the X220t makes more sense.

But if it were me, I'd still get the X230t :D

5. lead_org

Reputations:
    since the price difference is small for you only 100 dollars, you should probably get the X230t, as it will hold a better resell value.

6. mcdoogs

mcdoogs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went from a T60 (admittedly I don't use it much anymore as it's a million times slower than my self-built gaming desktop) to a x230T. The keyboards are different, but I like the x230's just fine. It's the best chiclet keyboard I've ever used (I've used a 2011 MBP and several macbook airs).

Imo the x230T will have value for longer due to using the current cpu architecture

7. moogleassassin

moogleassassin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    one possible point here is that Windows 8 drivers will be available for X230 (Lenovo are offering Win8 upgrade offer that started June 2nd) and will be selling the X230 with Windows 8 once it is released in Q3 2012.

It is not a certainty that the X220 would have Windows 8 drivers released as it will no-longer be on sale at that point and having never been sold with Win8 Lenovo *may* choose not to spend the time/money providing drivers for it. While I'm sure most of the Win7 drivers would work, there may be some incompatibilities.

So.... if you think you may upgrade to Win8 at any point then I would go for the X230. It will also have by far the best resell value 18months from now.

8. davidenko

Reputations:

Good point, however I'm pretty sure the X220T and X230T share a large amount of the same/similar hardware so I doubt creating drivers for both devices would trouble Lenovo that much.

Yeah I hate the Apple chiclet keyboards. We had them in the Mac lab for my third period, and touch-typing notes was horrible, I couldn't tell where my fingers were, as there's barely any curvature/definition on the keys themselves. That's good to hear that the keyboards are still functional, and the backlight is a big bonus as well for overnight travel.

Plus it has USB 3.0, a backlit keyboard, and a much better GPU. I guess I'll go with the X230T then.

The X230T I configured does have a backlit keyboard, forgot to add it in the description. :p

I personally think I'll go with the X230T, as USB 3.0, a backlit keyboard, and a much better GPU do seem worth the $100. Plus the warm fuzzy feeling you were talking about, which is somewhat rational as well, as it will maintain it's resale value for longer.

Well the X230T also has a backlit keyboard and USB 3.0, so the $100 does seem to actually be worth it. I would appreciate the GPU for some mobile gaming as I often will be travelling for 5+ hours to visit my family. There aren't that many preconfigured X220T's here in Canada, and if I was to import one from the states that would probably cost me more than a new X230T! :\

Battery authentication chip? Never heard about that! Now will Lenovo batts be mandatory? No third party? If true that sucks, as Chinese made third party batts are really good cheap replacements.

Well for $100 I would get USB 3.0, a backlit keyboard, and a slightly better GPU, so it may actually be worth it.

9. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, Third-Party Batterys can´t be used on the new 2012 ThinkPad line.

10. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes. You're hearing it now. Yes. No. Right, it sucks.

(You can put a non-Lenovo in. Power will be drawn from it, but it won't be charged.)

11. davidenko

Reputations:
    Does Lenovo have a reason for doing this or are they just greedy SOBs? Has anyone found an override/hack to the chip or is it hardwired onto the motherboard, sorta like a TPM chip?

12. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^^^ Does Lenovo have reason to do anything but making money? :D I'm sure a hack will be available. (I suppose the new BIOS will read a chip embedded in the battery pack.)

13. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe because of the risk of an exploding 3rd party battery as in the past?

14. davidenko

Reputations:
    I'm no anti-capitalist, so making money is fine with me, it's just that sometimes I don't like when companies go out of their way to eliminate competitive service/products. Which is why I hate the new Macbooks with a passion, as practically everything is soldered to the motherboard/proprietary.

I guess so, but the last case I could find was from 2006. I think Chinese factories have widely caught up with battery manufacturing standards, especially with the rise of companies outsourcing to Shenzhen.

15. moogleassassin

moogleassassin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BIOS updates for problems? incompatabilities with Win8? :) X230 is the safe bet.

16. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Watch out. Another Apple is in the making. No California girl, this one! :D

17. descendency

descendency Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The simplest reason is most 3rd party batteries are and are a significant risk to the machine.

18. nkull

nkull Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Read up on Li-Ion batteries ... They are VERY dangerous, and honestly I would never trust a third party battery anyway... Saving a few bucks isn't worth the risk of some cheap 3rd party battery that was manufactured to lesser standards burning my house down. It is also not worth it for a manufacture of items that take these batteries to to risk themselves being blamed for such an event.

19. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you, @nkull, for the education.

Thank you, Lenovo, for preventing my house from burning down.

20. lead_org

Reputations:
    There are several companies in China that makes good generic batteries, but the problem is that there are copycat village industry that copies the generic batteries. So there is a good chance that you get some dodgy battery from generic copycat, which works out to be more expensive and you are taking a significant risk in using them.

The battery authentication chip will prevent previous Lenovo batteries from working in the current machine too. So basically i can't use my spare X220 batteries in my X230 (it will discharge but wont charge up).