X220: max RAM is 8Gb or 16Gb???

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kilou, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought my Corsair 16GB kit for $107 a few weeks ago. Keep an eye out for a deal.

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I plan on getting a couple of blu-ray burners for my notebooks first, then I'll consider the RAM upgrade. But wow, the prices have really come down on RAM since last I checked. o_O

3. tongdakfiend

tongdakfiend Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, what are people running that requires 16GB of RAM? For me, Win 7 leaves a relatively small footprint (especially compared to OS X), and I have found 8GB more than sufficient all my needs. Admittedly, however, the most I have open at one time will be Paintshop Pro, Foobar, Office, Chrome (with maybe 5 tabs open).

4. Schmitty

Schmitty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree - 8GB is more than enough for almost anything, even 4GB. My desktop at work has 4GB and windows 7 and I regularly have MANY things open including statistical software, many PDFs, word, publisher docs open, chrome and firefox, GIMP, etc open and it's all good.

16GB would really only be fully utilized if you are running virtual machines. Also, if you have money to burn, you can get 16GB of RAM and shut off your page file to optimize performance - however, if you get an SSD, this barely makes any difference.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine has 4gb, and even with pagefile disabled I rarely use more 50% of that. Windows 7 is really good.

6. Thors.Hammer

Reputations:
    Virtualization and a bunch of server VMs.

7. blinder

blinder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    .NET development with large xml feeds - the iis processes can take around 6-7gb on their own if you let them. visual studio takes half a gig - plus any other dev tools you might have running - surprising how quickly it gets chewed up

8. jwkeiser

jwkeiser Newbie

Reputations:
    Exactly, throw in a couple custom cache-type services, and debugging two applications at the same time and I could easily see the need for 16gb, in fact i may spring for that when my t420 arrives.

9. Obelisk

Obelisk Newbie

Reputations:
    Picked this up from Newegg last week and popped it into my X220 Win 7 Pro with no problems.

10. Thors.Hammer

Reputations:
    Wow, the price of the 16GB 204 pin DDR3 pairs (2x8) have really dropped this weekend at newegg.com. There are 8 different packages at $109. The PC3 12800 pairs have dropped, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.