x220 Idling at 4.95w - What About You?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by JohnsonDelBrat, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnsonDelBrat

JohnsonDelBrat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe* I have finished tweaking this machine to get it to use the least possible power. On Battery in power manager it idles right at 5w. Obviously this increases with usage.

Figured this thread could be a compilation of things people are doing to reduce their power usage. Share tweaks and help others.

For me, this is what I've found to give the best battery life.

In Rig
    i5-2520
    Intel 310 80gb
    320gb 7200 hdd
    4gb RAM
    IPS
    W7 64 Pro

Whittled down factory image. Clean install actually did idle almost a watt higher. Vinuneuro kept telling me that, but I didn't want to believe! You can whittle down the factory install to pretty much the same as a clean install anyways. I just did a factory install then went through and gutted it with YourUninstaller. Came out to be almost the exact same size as my clean install.

My Drivers

I personally try to keep things as minimal as possible.

Bios 1.16
    Hotkey 3.52.0000
    Intel Chipset 9.2.0.1030
    Audio 8.32.23.0
    Power Management Driver 1.62
    Power Manager 3.61
    Intel HD Graphics 8.15.10.2342 (Intel 2361 increases power draw - higher brightness)
    Intel PRO 1000 Lan 11.10.84.0
    Monitor 4.36
    Integrated Camera 1.1.0.1147
    UltraNav Driver 15.3.8.0
    ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software 5.9.4.6882
    Ricoh Multi Card Reader 2.14.18.01
    Intel Centrino 6205 14.00.1000

In Bios
    I just disabled stuff I don't use or have on my rig like bluetooth. I didn't find any advantage power wise to disabling the other stuff. I thought there would be frankly, but nothing changed.

Ethernet - Enab
    Wireless - Enab (I disable it in Network Connections. If I disable in bios my watt usage increases by 1w)
    Wimax - Disa
    WWAN - Disa
    Bluetooth - Disa
    USB Port - Enab
    Ultra/HDD - Enab
    Microphone - Enab
    Expresscard - Enab
    Card Slot - Enab
    Camera - Enab
    Fingerprint - Disa

In Power Manager

All default settings. Oddly enough I saw an increase in power draw if I edited any of the settings. Weird... I'm still testing that to find out exactly what is causing the increase after change. I'd like to edit the profiles to my exact specs.

MSConfig

Under services after hiding all microsoft services I have four things with checks.

ThinkPad PM Service
    Lenovo Auto Scroll
    Lenovo Hotkey Client Loader
    On Screen Display

Under startup the only thing checked is ThinkPad Power Manager.

Services

Once I hit the desktop after boot I have 38 processes running. I pretty much used Black Vipers guide with a few changes to my personal situation. Some have said Windows 7 services make no difference on power draw... well I've found on my machine that isn't true. I dropped about a half watt by disabling services, which is a big difference in battery life.

I believe that is about it as far as battery life goes. I've probably forgotten something, but I will add to it if needed.

[​IMG]

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Impressive. :eek: What, if any, programs did you have open when you saw that power consumption? What display brightness? Was anything connected to USB?

John

3. kaymack

kaymack Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this for 6-cell battery?

4. Mech0z

Mech0z Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Must be this is the specs for 6 cell "11,1V - 5.6Ah - 63Wh" so it matches the WH on his screenshot

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is good information for everyone, but idle consumption isn't very useful. Not many people set their notebook aside waiting for the power saving mechanisms to kick in. Off a brand new reinstall of the factory image my machine goes down to 3-4W, but that's not realistic. I'm assuming you're using BatteryBar, what's your average power consumption while using the machine like browsing, etc? What screen brightness? Which profile, Max Battery?

In a fully functional installation mine averages 6.5-6.8W while browsing on a medium brightness without doing anything exotic other than just turning off stuff I don't use in the BIOS. I haven't sought more since at least for the time being 9+hrs is far more than I need out of the machine. I'm turning my attention to power consumption in Linux which is rather poor compared to Lenovo's highly optimized Windows setup. With vsync conquered, this is the only thing left before migrating to Ubuntu or OpenSuse.

6. JohnsonDelBrat

Reputations:
    That is just idling with no programs open. That is at 4 display brightness, for me is enough inside. No usb devices connected.

Correct.

Yah obviously while people use their comps they aren't going to have a use for this number. That wasn't really the point. I personally find the number pretty useful since I know what certain things add as far as wattage. So if someone is idling at 4 instead of my 5 I'd like to know what they are doing. Given that browsing on mine generally adds a watt... I know I could be browsing at 5 instead of 6. That would add a good bit more life. So if someone is idling theirs at 4, I want to know how!

In the original post... it is on Battery profile. I forgot to add my brightness though, which is at 4. Really a factory install idles at 3-4? I never saw my numbers go near that when I first did the factory install. They were at around 6.

7. infinus

infinus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I partially disagree here. I find idle consumption a very indicative number. When the CPU is in use it's in use, and there isn't all that much you can do about it. Where you gain battery time is by having idle cycles. The lower your measured wattage is at idle from eliminating processes and such, the more idle cycles you have. This applies even when you are doing miscellaneous tasks.

Example: Machine A idles at 5 watts, Machine B idles at 7 watts. Machine A has more idle cycles, so when both machines are browsing the internet or editing a word document, Machine A will continue to have more idle cycle.

Even when you are working, your machine has idle cycles, and you want to increase this count as much as possible.

Now, I said I partially disagreed, because what you said is absolutely correct if you are doing something that eliminates ALL idle cycles (ie: rendering, video, etc....).

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I haven't found much correlation between idle consumption and when the machine is in light use and one core is likely parked, like during browsing. When the installation is brand new the idle consumption is extremely low and goes up at least 1-1.5W just from installing standard applications. However, average consumption is always very similar. BatteryBar is useful for checking this since it isn't as volatile as other meters.

9. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A great way to calculate power consumption is with a Kill A Watt. That way you could get idle and load power levels. Anyone want to be a guinea pig? ;)

10. JohnsonDelBrat

Reputations:
    Hmm, I didn't see that at all. Right after the fresh factory install (nothing new installed) it was idling higher than it is now. Ha, only reason I know that is because I monitored it very closely. It was around 5.90-6.10, quite odd.

That sounded like you volunteering ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.