X220 display has: light bleeding, burn-in and low brightness

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Nick_r, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick_r

Nick_r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The bleeding is obvious on black screen (during boot for example). Comes from about 5 directions, mostly bottom.

Burn-in is also visible on black screens after showing the same image for a while. For example the Setup Win7 install screen is visible (ghost) on the dark display during boot.

Brightness is quite low, I have to keep it at 12+ (out of 15) to be remotely acceptable.

Amazing, how crappy this display is. If it wasn't IPS... But I think it was the crappiest and cheapest IPS available. I am starting the believe that the MacBook Pros' TNs are better than this awful IPS.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    That sucks. You might want to compare notes with this guy:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/582608-x220t-issues.html

And look at the X220 owners thread and see if you see similar complaints or if it's just for a specific type of screen / screen manufacturer.

3. TheLoneRaven

TheLoneRaven Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know what you mean. I just had to deal with just about every Lenovo rep to get a replacement for my x220 because of the ips screen...with the backlight bleeding. Mine was coming from 6 places, all along the bottom of the screen. The ghosting can be fixed by switching up what is on the display. The IPS screen just doesn't like when you leave the same image up for, let's say, more than 4 hours at a time.

I know it's kinda annoying, but the colors on the IPS are wonderful.

4. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TheLoneRaven, did they end up replacing your screen? What was the key to getting it replaced? How did you get comfortable that the replacement screen was not going to have backlight bleed (or did it?).

Many thanks,
    Petrov.

5. TheLoneRaven

TheLoneRaven Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well we shall see. I know that most IPS screens have some form of backlight bleeding, I can live with that. But I didn't want it to the extent that I saw with my original x220. The fan problems were more or less fixed with BIOS 1.16, but I wanted a better screen. The laptop is being shipped to me today--so I hope that it's better than my old one--but to be honest, I really don't know how it will be. It should be better than my old one--that one was pretty bad.

6. LenovoGringo

LenovoGringo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty unacceptable. Lenovo/LG should've caught on a long time ago. Maybe that's why the IPS option is $50? But still...

7. LastSilmaril

LastSilmaril Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't experienced ghosting and backlight bleed isn't terrible on mine. However brightness is definitely lacking; I would definitely say 12 is the minimum in, say, a well-lit room. By contrast, my old S6F TN screen (which is pretty good for a TN) is fine at maybe 25%. I wonder how prevalent this complaint is...

8. Duckfart

Duckfart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup,
    I have really no complaints about the screen ghosting or bleeding but the brightness does suck.

I use 12 as well. My HP has twice the brightness of the x220 on full setting.
    It could be the glossy making it look brighter.

9. LastSilmaril

LastSilmaril Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right? It could very well be the gloss. Anybody here knowledgeable about this kind of thing care to comment?
    Oh, and one of the things I was looking forward to, because this is a matte screen, was visibility outdoors. But just like glossy screens, you need to crank it up to the max to see anything (though of course the situation isn't nearly as dire).
    Low brightness of say 6 is usable if there's no other light source around; otherwise it's quite useless.

10. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IIRC, IPS dimness is inherent in it's design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.