x220 battery life

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by floz23, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floz23

floz23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi. Most of us have had our x220's for a few days now, and I wanted to start a thread to discuss the battery life, since this was one of the main selling points of this laptop.

I have the i7 with a 6-cell and an intel 320 ssd.

With wifi on, brightness set at about half way, cpu speed set to balanced, I'm averaging about a solid 6 hours with regular daily usage.

How is everyone else doing so far?

2. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had about the same with an HDD i7 8 GB memory. The brightness was set to 13 as well. Most work was with web browsing/forums and a couple of uploaded photos. CPU was balanced

3. Teff

Teff Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    9 cell, i5 2410, 6GB, SSD

For light web browsing with low brightness (<5) I'm seeing 11 as viable. Hard to say as I can't kill the damn battery, though!

In medium power modes with brightness up, 8-9 hours seems normal. Maxing brightness lops about an hour off from medium brightness, IPS + bright = power sucking.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  4. floz23

floz23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn, I'm thinking I'm gonna need the 9cell, or the slice very soon. Nuts, I knew those reviews were too good to be true.

5. JohnsonDelBrat

JohnsonDelBrat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was talking in another thread how I'm getting about 6-7 hours on 6 cell, 2520, 4gb, 320 7200. Brightness is usually from 0-3 lol (my screen is super bright even in sunny room).

This is off a clean install, not using Power Manager which isn't even installed. I'm using Windows Power management, pretty much everything is default... I'm set to Balanced. Will normally just run my computer from around 8am on full battery. No shut downs until the battery needs charged. So there are times when I'm preparing food and such the computer is basically doing nothing. I'd say probably 45 minutes total nothingness. I leave it on at these times just to get an accurate reading (wall clock).

My usage is office, browsing, some youtube (720), photoshop, site editing... no gaming at all. I usually have to plug into power around 2:30 or so.

Some other notes. Fingerprint reader is active (difference?), wireless off, on ethernet, pad and nub active, no bluetooth.

I honestly think after the fan issue is solved we will be seeing 8 hours.

6. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    9 cell with word, IE9, media player running music and outlook im getting around 11, with the slice im between 19 and 21 sofar I still want to tune it up more and tweak settings

7. zygomatic

zygomatic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm getting roughly 8-10 hours on my 9 cell i72620 8gb msata ssd+hd. That's on "maximum battery" setting with light browsing & word with brightness @ 9. I could probably push 11 hours with lower brightness and no wifi. On maximum battery the processor is at 800MHz most of the time, so I don't think the extra potential clock speed of the i7 has much of an effect.

8. kilou

kilou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to undervolt the Sandybridge processor (using something such as RightMark CPU clock) for even greater battery life?? It worked fine on my centrino laptop...

9. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AFIK not yet, sofar putting an SSD on a 7mm diet and pulling the mechanical drive seems to me our main battery increase.

I do hope we can undevolt at some point soon just to play with it. My MBP's desperatly need it when bootcamped

10. ym1

ym1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a i7 with 8 gig ram and 128 gig SSD, 9cell , I usually am getting 12 to 13 hours. however most of my work is through RDP. I just got a 4 cell since this is my month off and I don't want to be carrying around the 9cell when its not needed. I just got it today so I will report back how that works out.

ETA I can tell you the lightness difference between the 9cell and 4cell is amazing !!
    ym

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.