1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

x200 will not power on

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by tuan209, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuan209

tuan209 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi guys,

I am not sure what is happening here but it may seem that i have broken my laptop. I installed a new screen on my laptop a few days ago, and it worked fine but there was a buzzing noise. This morning I swapped back in the old lcd and in the process I must have done something wrong. After installing in the lcd, my notebook will not power on any longer.

The power LEDs turn on but nothing else. Could this be a result of a damaged inverter or something else?

Any suggestions?

Tuan

2. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you try reinstalling it to make sure everything is plugged in properly?
    When you say nothing else is on do you mean no hard drive activity? Because if the screen was installed incorrectly, obviously it nothing would show up.

A couple people have done LCD swaps here so they could probably help you. Good luck.

3. tuan209

tuan209 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea I doubled check to see if everything was installed correctly and it seems to be. I connected my external lcd to the laptop and nothing shows up either.

When I turn on the the laptop, the power leds will light but it does not seem to boot up.

4. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you certain it is not powered on? I mean, when mine powers on I can barely hear anything...

Perhaps you can try an external monitor?

5. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OP said he tried an external display. Pop out the battery hold down the power button and put it back in. Then try to turn it on.

6. tuan209

tuan209 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion but it isnt working. It looks like the power is cut off to the rest of the system. I opened the whole chasis up, and when I powered the laptop on, the fan spins momentarily and dies. If I leave the power on, the laptop gets warm. I dont know if that is indication that the cpu is on or not.

7. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    did you wear any static discharging device when you opened the laptop up? there is a chance you fried the motherboard.

8. perfectionseeker

perfectionseeker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ok it looks like I will not be replacing any screens ... not worth it if laptop dies. I would say take it in for repairs.

9. tuan209

tuan209 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks guys.

I have tried everything and the thing will not turn on. I guess I can either get fixed or replace it.

From what I have described, how much would it cost me to get it fixed? Or should I just purchase a new laptop? :(

10. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    it is probably cheaper to just get a used x200 laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.