X1E/P1...Absolutely awful

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Sentential, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Better than other thin and light 6 cores IIRC, can you do anything with the GPU?

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, since this is a work machine, I don't do much with the GPU except the occasional 3d render of engineering diagrams, but that runs "okay" even in intel GPUs, when the project is small. The GPU has worked fine so far but I also don't expect much from it haha.

The only negative I have, imo, is the missing gigabit ethernet. This dongle is a mild annoyance and can easily be lost. I do use the ethernet port a lot because we configure several ethernet based devices. But well, it's just one more dongle to carry.

Vasudev and custom90gt like this.
  3. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Did you undervolt or OC the GPU?

Don't worry, in the dongle era its normal to need a few here and there.

4. ryzeki

Reputations:
    The GPU so far is basically untouched. The CPU is heavily undervolted (-150 mv so far).

custom90gt likes this.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Are replacements available if you do lose it? A couple of months ago Lenovo didn't even have any for sale. I did find one on Amazon that works tho since the X1E, unlike the P2, weirdly doesn't come with one. But the Lenovo salesman on the phone had told me they both did, and when I subsequently complained about that Lenovo credited me with - I forgot - $135 or something like that.

6. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I'd like to believe lenovo does sell replacements for these modules, because otherwise it's going to suck for me hahaha.

I will try later with a Lenovo rep to confirm.

Dannemand and custom90gt like this.
  7. werewolf

Reputations:

Let me know. but if not I'll dig up the link to the amazon dongle part I bought for you. And I agree with you, my only negative is the stupid proprietary - and scarce - ethernet port. Wasn't there room for a real port? I almost always use WiFi though.

Oh, and try to confirm what the Lenovo rep tells you about this dongle. I got conflicting info from every one of them, from yes the X1E comes with it (it doesn't) to we sent it to you separately it's in the mail (it wasn't) to you're on your own, kid we don't have any (they didn't), to we'll send you the compensation for the lies the salesman told you (they did).

8. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    I don't think there was room for a full port or you bet your buttons they would have it. They did the next best thing which was a mini version of the port

9. werewolf

Reputations:
  10. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I bet they could have fit the weird half port like in the Lenovo G50 that uses a tab instead of the full port. But since this P1 is the same as the X1E, they probably noticed most people don't use ethernet anymore. So redesigning around something there not much demand, who knows.

Then again they could have skipped the mini port, and use another thunderbolt 3/USB-C port and put an USB-C dongle.

Despite being largely the same laptop, P1 users and X1E users are different markets and expect different things. I can tell you my workplace wouldn't have considered the P1 unless the ethernet port was a given. Even in this case which was a dongle, if it didn't come with the "specs" when they review it, they would have rejected it.

Meanwhile the guys at the Sales Department at my workplace, have the X1's and couldn't care less about the ethernet port.