X1E/P1...Absolutely awful

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Sentential, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I genuinely don’t understand how anyone can recommend this laptop, yet all the publications seem to and all the worst aspects of it are mentioned nowhere.

For a laptop that’s made of magnesium and carbon fiber it’s got the rigidity of a wet noodle. Light amounts of torque applied to it causes the screen to creak and flop around and if you do the same to the chassis you can litererally feel the top/bottom covers shift and slide around including the LCD hinge.

The whole point of a business laptop is durability and I’ve never seen such a flimsy a “mil spec” laptop especially when compared side-by-side to an elitebook which has zero flex.

I don’t get it.....Why do people buy these?

steberg likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    All of that is YOUR opinion. I had no issues with the build of the laptop although I found it lacking when compared to the XPS 15. I rather enjoyed my X1E...

Milspec doesn't mean anything in it's own regard, you have to know what spec they are testing it against...

3. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    People buy these cause they don't break, and if they do you can easily fix them. If you think this laptop is flimsy, you shouldn't walk into any electronics retail store or you will be appalled

4. Sentential

Reputations:
    Well mil spec is pretty specific and maybe my case is unique but I ordered an X1C as a replacement and it has several dead pixels and bad keys on the keyboard. So this can't be a one off.

You shouldn't see the edges of the laptop sag causing a gap between the deck of the laptop and screen that clicks and slaps if you bounce the laptop up and down. I mean light torsion and I can feel all the screws shifting. I have never seen anything so flimsy and I have seen a LOT of laptops

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly milspec means nothing. As a mechanical engineer you have to know which milspec you're designing for (eg. 810G).

I had no issues with my X1E nor the few that I've ordered for customers, your experience is likely a rarity.

I guess we all haven't done the "bounce" test that you are referring to.

6. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    Can you explain it again? I don’t quite get what you mean. If you mean by pressing the corners and hearing a click, then that seems a little bit of a nitpick

7. Sentential

Reputations:
    Drooping would be the only way to describe it like you were holding a sandwich by one side and the other split open like this <. That's what happens between the deck of the laptop and the lid.

8. Richard Zheng

Reputations:
    So if you hold it from one corner, the other one opens up a bit?

9. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no issues with my X1 and I've had it for a few months. It's one of the few notebooks in it's size where I can get 64GB of ram and 4TB of SSD.

Vasudev, Richard Zheng and huntnyc like this.
  10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Been using a P1 for some days, got it from work. The build quality is fine, I see nothing wrong so far with it. The design itself feels sturdy enough.

Performance once undervolted its great so far. At least it is not melting, and the CPU is stretching its legs.