X1 Extreme (Gen 2) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Eason, Aug 26, 2019.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just in case this is useful information for anyone else, based on my testing (described below) it seems that despite the fact that the X1 Extreme Gen 2 uses a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller and the USB-C video outputs are wired to the NVIDIA GPU rather than the Intel GPU, the system does NOT support DisplayPort 1.3 or 1.4 over USB-C. It seems limited to DisplayPort 1.2. That means the USB-C outputs would not provide enough bandwidth for setups like 4K 60 Hz HDR using 4:4:4, or 5K 60 Hz SDR over a single DisplayPort interface (as opposed to using TB3 or two physical DisplayPort connections). It would also affect the types of multi-display setups that can be run via daisy-chaining, and it means DisplayPort DSC would not be available.

My test to determine DisplayPort support level went as follows. I had a 4K 60 Hz TV with an HDMI 2.0 input and an HDMI cable rated for 4K 60 Hz. I first validated the TV and cable setup by connecting to the X1E's built-in HDMI 2.0 output, which allowed me to run 4K 60 Hz as expected. Then I connected this same TV and cable to the HDMI output on a Dell DA300 adapter. This adapter is a useful test because unlike most multi-purpose adapters currently on the market, it will support 4K 60 Hz as long as the host system supports DisplayPort 1.3 or better. If the host system only supports DisplayPort 1.2, then only 30 Hz will be possible. I was only able to select 30 Hz when running 4K resolution through the DA300. (For those who are curious, the reason DP 1.3 is required for 4K 60 Hz through the DA300 is that multi-purpose adapters like this configure the USB-C interface so that two of the four high-speed links are allocated to supporting USB 3.x data, leaving only two lanes for DisplayPort HBR traffic. USB 2.0 if used is carried over a separate set of pins dedicated to that purpose. Two lanes of HBR2 (DP 1.2) is only enough for 4K 30 Hz, although two lanes of HBR3 (DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4) is enough for 4K 60 Hz. By comparison, a simple USB-C to DisplayPort cable allocates all four high-speed links in the USB-C interface to video, since such a cable has no need to carry USB 3.x, and consequently that type of cable would allow 4K 60 Hz even from a DP 1.2 system.)

av676 and Nyek like this.
  2. hendra

hendra Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has anyone bought X1 Extreme with 8 Cores? Do you think it will get too hot for such a slim chassis? Will it throttle down too much that it would be pointless to buy the 8 cores version?

3. GreenStorm

GreenStorm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New to the club - got one with i7, FHD screen, 1TB Samsung NVMe. It is barely 24h old, I'm curious how it'll do.

Nyek likes this.
  4. surfict

surfict Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I'am hesitating about buying this laptop or the XPS 7590.. I read that in the X1 extreme 1gen, a lot of people had coil whine problem. Did you notice it on this generation ?

5. GreenStorm

Reputations:
    There is absolutely minimal coil whine - my T450s has it about 6x as loud, and that didn't bother me as long as i was a reasonable amount away from the laptop (i.e. not ear directly on the laptop).
    The Dell has a bigger battery, probably a better screen (even if Lenovo stepped up a bit in the last few years), a (waaaaay) more shallow and mushy keyboard and less thermal capacity -> less actual power.

6. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone with the 500 nit display attempted to overclock it?
    Extremely easy, risk free process.

7. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm that undervolting still works with bios 1.31?

alaskajoel likes this.
  8. GreenStorm

Reputations:
    What to me is staggering, that they keep releasing and then pulling BIOS versions off the release channel. I am still on 1.29-1.22 and will stick there, as I got massive temp increases with 1.30 and all other BIOS updates weren't critical. For whatever reason now 1.34 is not on the "System Update"-release channel anymore, but still in "Vantage. I just give up and stick with what I have for now, battery life is ok, temps and fan noise are ok. And undervolting works with 1.29-1.22 just fine.

9. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    this is a very small owners lounge. wow.

Has anyone had the issue of keyboard imprints being left on the OLED screen? like actual permanent marks?

10. thinkpads

thinkpads Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am curious about this as well. Lots of static images on windows.