X1 display on a T430?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kilou, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virgi44

Virgi44 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today I replaced the T420s screen with X1C's one - LP140WD2(TL)(E2) - ordered from laptopscreen.com
    You are right there is no mounting holes on X1C's LCD, but who cares, I used double sided tape and it is rock solid.

I also ordered cable extender from them, because X1C connector is in different location.
    The only problem what I should solve that this extender needs more place because of the two extra connectors, that's why there is a small hole between LCD bezel and LCD itself above the Switch ON/OFF button along a 10 cm area.
    I will try to extend the original cable in different way, probably soldering.

I made some pictures during the procedure. I can upload if you wish.

I decided to buy T420s, as it is the last TP with classic keyboard.

2. aadadams

aadadams Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I must see it to believe it... This was prime for a step by step how-to

3. Ivankovic01

Ivankovic01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Please, attach the images if you can. I'm still interested in this...

4. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What you described is spot on. I had the opportunity to see two X1 Carbon notebooks in person and spent some time investigating the mod. I concluded for myself that the marginal gain in "screen quality" is not worth the trouble. (I managed to exchange the part for something else, used in a different notebook.)

Best of luck to those who want to try this mod.

5. Virgi44

Reputations:
    pictures and description
    LINK

Comments corrected! - first and second replaced;)

6. Virgi44

Reputations:
    I'm trying to replace my T61p IPS Frankenpad, so there is no chance at all to keep T420s crappy LCD...

7. choder

choder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome that this worked. Does the new panel have the T430s screen door effect?

8. lennyleonard

lennyleonard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, me too I'm terribly frustrated by the screen quality of my T430 and I really want to change it.
    Virgi44, thank you for the pictures. Have you managed to solve the problem related with the thickness of the extender? Are you happy with the new screen?
    Kaso, have you managed to swap your panel with one of another notebook? Could you give us more details?
    Thank you very much

9. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I decided to leave the panel alone.

Welcome to the forum.

10. lennyleonard

lennyleonard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good news! It is possible!
    I've replaced the screen of my T430 with the one of the X1 (purchased on laptopscreen.com) and it works perfectly. There were no significant problems, the cable extender fits well.
    I advise not to buy the standard cable extension (the one for 15"), but the longer one.
    As Virgi44 already pointed out, the X1 screen can't be screwed. Nevertheless I haven't used any tape to fix it: vertical supports are already present, and the screen can be supported horizontally too by adding shim on its left (I've just used folded cardboard). Thin shim is necessary on the back of the screen too.
    While dismantling the old screen, I recommend to remove the screen bezel by pulling it from the interior edge (the edge that is in direct contact with the screen) using your nails (it is not natural, but Lenovo advised so, and doing the contrary is terribly difficult). While re-assembling the bezel, start from the lower side and pay attention to correctly fasten the three hooks present in the center part of this side (it is difficult, but if you don't do it you'll end up with a big hump).
    If your T430 hasn't the HD+ screen (1600x900px) but it has the HD one (1366x768px), it is possible to replace the screen as well (it was my case), but it is necessary to replace the LCD cable. In this case you'll have to disassemble many other parts of the pc (you can find instructions on Lenovo website).
    The new screen is very good, lot lot superior to the original crappy one (in my case, the original one was an LG).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.