X1 display on a T430?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kilou, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    X1 Carbon uses sticky tape to mount the LCD in the lid. My friend have already tried to do this with his T430s but he failed.

I am trying to see whether the T430u can accept a higher resolution LCD, will wait for the machine to ship.

2. Ivankovic01

Ivankovic01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks lead_org.

Looking here under FRU Videos -> LCD Panel -> removal does indeed show that TLE2 panel has no mounting holes, i.e. it is not screwed in like our panels.

This puts an end to a dream of having this exact panel swapped in T420/T430 series.

But the hunt continues! There's got to be a decent panel for our machines - otherwise I've got to replace my main machine. I spend too much time in front of a computer to punish my eyes with this AUO crap that we have!

I will keep an eye on this thread, in case someone runs into an idea...

Cheers!

3. MiB

MiB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, before you even consider going through the trouble and expense here are some pics of the X1 Carbon screen.
    IMO it's not good at all, but you can decide for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. thinkpad.techuser

thinkpad.techuser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very helpful screens MIB, it confirms my experience with X1C. While it has better gamut and viewing angles, it still has visible griddyness.

Good gamut (or even viewing angles) are really not THAT important to me. Meanwhile Hearst's unapproved cheapy AUO panel seems to have no griddyness at all.. Go figure...

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't think one should make broad generalizations based on one screen. While some have reported seeing a griddy screen, I myself never saw it on the X1C I had.

6. luciano123

luciano123 Newbie

Reputations:
    While waiting for the right screen this might be helpfull for some. This is a screen calibration file for the LG screen on t430 made with the spyder3 colorimeter.

Attached Files:

7. thinkpad.techuser

Reputations:
    Since we're told that only one panel is used across all X1 Carbons, one way to account for 2 different impressions in people is, perhaps the same one that accounts for 2 different coatings on trackpads: some X1C's carry proper trackpads, and some have resin sprayed on top in a way that made it difficult to use, so perhaps there are two major factories that produce all X1Cs, and one of them sprays incorrect or excessive matte coating on the screens, producing the vertical griddyness.

8. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First, Lenovo factories -- or any PC factories -- do not spray matte coating on screens. Second, the delicate coating application process by the display manufacturers does not cause the "griddiness" or "screen door effect" that certain users have reported.

9. thinkpad.techuser

Reputations:
    Thanks. What accounts for it then ? People who have glossy panels generally don't report the problem to the same effect.

Note: by griddyness I am referring not to thicker-than-average space between pixels, but vertical grooves of pixels, present in almost all matte screens I've seen, and extremely visible in the screenshots excellently provided above.

10. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Different design/manufacturing processes. The same "griddiness" or "screen door effect" has been observed on certain glossy screens -- for example, the one on the Dell XPS 15 L521X (2012).

I know.

Fact is, any LCD, observed closely enough (or its image intentionally magnified), will reveal some kind of grid as the pixels are arranged separately, with tiny gaps between neighboring ones. The difference is in fine vs. coarse pixel pitch.

In any event, I don't think it is productive to prolong this discussion because, actually, the situation is old news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.