X1 display on a T430?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kilou, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilou

kilou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

Laptopmag just did a review of the thinkpad x1 carbon where they praised the 14" 1600x900 matte display saying that it features excellent viewing angles and good brightness. I wonder whether this is another display compared to the one (HD+) used in the T430 as anyone seems to complain about poor vertical viewing angles. Do you know if they are different? If they are different, would it be possible to install an X1 display into a T430/T430s laptop (like getting one from laptopscreen.om when they will be available)??

Thanks

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    My guess is that the connector won't work.

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Oh it's definitely a different display, I have the ThinkPad T430s and X1 Carbon both with 1600 x 900 res screen and did a video comparison here: ThinkPad X1 Carbon Vs. Lenovo ThinkPad T430s Screen Comparison - YouTube

4. kilou

kilou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the nice comparison. Indeed the X1 screen is much better. If you happen to open up these laptops could you check if the display connectors are the same?? I'm not getting a t430 specifically because of the poor screen (though i don't know how much would cost an aftermarket x1 screen...)

5. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or, failing that, at least what the make/model of the panel is?

6. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    LP140WD2 (TL)(E2)

I don't think there is anything uniquely special about this TN screen, particularly its connector.

7. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    40-pin LVDS, right?

8. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Right. (Unless Lenovo pays big yuans to have a one-off screen designed and produced for the X1 Carbon.)

9. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't seem to find a datasheet for that panel, so I'm curious -- do you happen to know what the connector style is? I'd assume it's FI-JH, but who knows...

10. nicholaicheck

nicholaicheck Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my T430 with HD+ screen, and the viewing angles are quite the letdown. That being the only weak point (admittedly a large one) of an otherwise 98%+ perfect laptop, I'm looking for options. I didn't find that exact screen model number (LP140WD2 (TL)(E2)), but I did find one that's close on laptopscreens, and did manage to find them available for bulk order through a google search. I think it's possible to pry the 430's screen bezel apart. From there I bet swapping the screens would be similar to this tutorial. This review makes me very tempted to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.