X1 carbon vs X230 ?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Supermiguel, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NPRW4ever

NPRW4ever Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The price of the Thinkpad X230 appears substantially less, which it is IF you configure it with a traditional hard drive. The upgrade from the default 320 GB HD to 256 GB SSD drive adds $480 to the price. Depending on the discounts you have to apply it may only be $100-200 less than the X1 Carbon.

I am thinking that the extra screen size and resolution of the X1 Carbon will be helpful in editing photos in Lightroom while traveling, but I will miss the larger internal HDD I have on my X220.

2. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No doubt about it. Especially in Lightroom.

I'm trying to decide if I can deal with the 12.5" screen and lower resolution of the x230. I want more than 128GBs of space but don't really wanna pay the asking price for the 256GB version of the X1C.

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Do note that you can order it straight from Lenovo with a conventional (and spacious) HDD, then add a 128GB mSATA SSD (the Crucial M4 mSATA is a great option) for about $120. If you opt for the 500GB 5400RPM HDD, that'll give you more than twice the usable space that a 256GB SSD would provide on its own.

4. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, after playing with my old Dell D420 for a while (with a 12.1" screen) I think I'd be better off in the long run with the larger 14" screen and 1600x900 resolution of the X1C. Too bad, though, the x230 is mighty tempting.

5. sanjaygolf

sanjaygolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm deciding between the two but I'm wondering if the only real advantage of the X1C's thinness is so you can say to your friends, "Hey look how slim my laptop is". I've never seen an ultrabook so I have no clue so I was hoping someone would chime in. If you assume that the X230 and X1C weighed the same would the X230 ever appear more cumbersome while carrying it by hand or using it on your lap?

6. orangejuice

orangejuice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The display of the X1 is 1.5 inch larger. That is the main reason for the X1. Considering the heavy AC adapter the X1 weight advantage is not so great anymore.

The x230 palm rest is too short the X1 should not have this problem. This would be my second best argument towards taking the X1.

Battery life is better on the x230 as you can put in a 9 cell and you can always switch batteries.

7. Debonaire

Debonaire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having the same weight but a 1.5 inch larger screen is a pretty significant weight advantage though, IMO.

8. Mr.Lovely

Mr.Lovely Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, quite hard to decide.
    I don't consider the X230 only for display size and resolution preference, otherwise, the X230 is unbeatable comparing to the X1C.
    So I am choosing from the X1C and T430s. (A bit want to cry...)

9. orangejuice

orangejuice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    T430s has the same weight as the T430 if they both have the same battery life.

The 12.5 inch display was way too small for me.

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Good discussion of X1C vs T430s, plus other contenders Sony Z2/SVZ13 and Toshiba R940 presented in http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...lease-help-t430s-x1-carbon-2.html#post8823410 .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.