1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

X1 Carbon Gen 2 (Haswell)

Discussion in 'ThinkPad Edge, X1, X100e/X120e, & SL/L' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Jack Watts

Jack Watts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know I'm swimming against the tide on this one, but just wanted to share an alternative perspective. I'll be curious to hear about your thoughts on the battery life. After seeing reports of 6+ hours, I was a bit shocked to barely be getting 4 hours just working on web-based applications. I streamed an hour of video on max brightness and killed 40% of the battery. I realize it's not going to compare to my X230 with a 9 cell battery--but I was still expecting a bit more, particularly based on the reviews. Folks much be using some really dim screens...

2. ohadfreund

ohadfreund Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are not alone...

I don't use the trackpoint at all so I cannot talk about it.

I agree re adaptive strip, I've got used to it but we should be able to customize it more.

I agree re home/end. I really don't use caps lock.

No problem with backspace for me.

I really like the PgUp/PgDn location, much better than back/forward I have in my previous T420.

Print Screen - I think FN + T will do the work for you. Just Google it and you will find more. Anyway, Snipping tool is much better. You also have built-in tool inside MS Office.

Battery - I'm don't have more than 4 hours without power so I cannot comment on this.

3. yaonyc

yaonyc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi X1 guys,

What is the real world (mixed usage, no heavy video editing) battery life of X1 carbon? Can you get 6-7 hrs of usage with 90% brightness level?

Thanks guys...

4. Jack Watts

Jack Watts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which version are you considering? I was borrowing a Gen 2 with a WQHD non-touch, set to 90-100% brightness, mixed usage, I was getting about 4-4.5 hours out of it. No where near 6-7 hours. As I mentioned up thread, this pretty much pushed to go to the Broadwell machine, which has a slightly larger battery and some efficiency improvements.

One nice thing though is that it really does charge fast, so at least there's that going for it.

I think some of the machines w/the TN panel may be a little better on battery--not sure though.

5. j3ff

j3ff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a TN panel non WQHD - the battery seems to last forever. It really is that good!!

6. ohadfreund

Reputations:
    I'm trying to create a bootable USB with ISO file, but for some reason it doesn't work.
    After boot I press ENTER and then F12 to change boot order.
    I have an option of USB HDD, but when I choose it nothing happen.
    I assume I should get an option of USB CD instead.
    I tried 3 different apps to create the USB.

Could it be some kind of security option in the BIOS?

Any other ideas?

7. vigorito

vigorito Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone help me to turn off display dimming everytime i change the active window on the screen,i have disable in windows adaptive brigtness but it is happening again! i know its into intel hd graphics settings but i cant find it a whole day

8. ohadfreund

Reputations:
    I think there was an update from Lenovo few months ago that fixed this bug.
    Try to look for it in Lenovo's System Update.

9. vigorito

Reputations:
    Im doing it

10. vigorito

Reputations:
    hi i have stupid problem with windows password,i want it to disable it since im switching to different notebook,when i open lenovo fingerprint manager pro and scroll with ,my finger and click reveal password im gettin password which i allready now,but that password is incorect,how this is possible???

also when i try to chance the password with swiping over scanner while lenovo fingerprint manager is open the window appear and asking for a new password but it cant change it some error are occured

lenovo fingerprint pro could not validate new password that you entered please double check the new password
    and click the retry button to try again???