X1 Carbon Gen 2 (Haswell)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk420

jmk420 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much! It is not listed on the Canadian Lenovo site!

I am also wondering this as well, I am in stuck inbetween a dilemma right now... Either the Asus Zenbook Infinity or this laptop..... I have been thru the same question 2 years back deciding which one should I buy... ended up with the zenbook!

I am actually in the market for a high resolution, high battery laptop for school that is decently light weight, and the only thing I dislike about the X1 is the red dot in the middle.... I know tons of people like it but I was never a fan of it.

2. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
  3. TechNutz

TechNutz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    according to customers questions and answered by Lenovo staff (in Lenovo new ThinkPad X1 page), there will be 512GB SSD & i7 with HD5000 CPU.

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You don't have to use it if you don't want to. It rarely gets in the way.

5. archalien

archalien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This sucks I have a 10% off that works on new carbon but will expire before the custom config I want is available.......

6. canfrag

canfrag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thinkpad-x1-carbon-mk2.jpg

Received my X1 Carbon Gen 2!

I bought the i7 model with the 2560x screen.

Initial thoughts:

Screen is pretty nice but a lot of programs are really not ready for it. Particularly stupid is that Lenovo's own programs sometimes appear with miniscule icons when in 2560x. Screen is bright, it has a slight haziness due to the touch screen. Still, at least no screen-door effect.

The keyboard is a disaster. This adaptive row is driving me crazy. Firstly, it ships defaulting to controls rather than function keys, so things like brightness instead of F keys. You can switch between the different adaptive row layouts but you have to have minimum TWO (F keys + bright/vol/mic controls). They have some other ones like Internet Explorer control, too. .

The ESC key is gone from its usual spot. It's now next to 1. FN has replaced the ESC key.

Backspace is not the last key on the right edge of your keyboard now, DELETE is. Backspace is right next to that.

Double tap shift to caps lock works pretty nicely. I haven't really noticed the new location of the Home/End keys since I don't use them that often.

The feeling of the keyboard itself is good, actually feels a little better than my old X1 Carbon.

Touchpoint/pad. WHY. What was wrong with the original touchpoint buttons?

Nice bonus - comes with an ethernet dongle and a dedicated mini-proprietary port to plug it into.

All-in-all ... it's a nice laptop marred by very stupid design decisions on the keyboard. What the hell, Lenovo.

7. ataft

ataft Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the write-up. Overall, would you say it is an improvement over the previous gen? Obviously the X1 is faster and has a better display, but do the design changes make it worse off than before?

8. tomho147

tomho147 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    some photo of it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. urbanglowcam

urbanglowcam Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome, congrats! Can you comment a bit more on the display/panel? Glad there's no more screen door effect, though I was never really bothered by it. I just didn't like theclortemperature and viewing angles weren't the best. Have they improved on these things? Also, what do you mean by haziness from the touchscreen?

Also, are you surprised by the keyboard? Or did you do research and already know beforehand what you were getting yourself into? I hope that didn't come off rude.

Thanks!

10. canfrag

canfrag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For comparison, I also have this year's Macbook Pro Retina 13". The screen is similar but the Macbook Pro seems marginally brighter and with slightly better contrast. I have never had a touchscreen on my laptop before so I wonder how much of a difference the touchscreen overlay makes. I normally calibrate my screens so colour temperature is not too much of an issue. What is a bigger issue is poor contrast, which is usually a lot more eyestrain for me because I will crank up brightness to brighten the whites which increases legibility for me. The haziness is a slightly grainy look, I'll see if I can get a photo to explain. It's not that bad, I'm a stickler for screens that's all.

Compared the the last 1600x900 panel on the X1 Carbon, it's definitely an improvement BUT it really depends on if your eyes can handle that 2560x. It's definitely a bit too small for me at 100-125% scaling.

Not rude at all, it's an important question. I have used Thinkpads for ten years starting with the T23. I was ok with the major chiclet change but this new layout really takes the . I had seen all the notes about the adaptive strip, etc but I overlooked ESC has moved, which has been one of the more difficult changes for me to deal with. The actual feel of the keys when typing remains good and arguably the best out there.

What I would like to know is if the 1600x900 option is the same as the old X1 Carbon?

urbanglowcam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.