1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

X1 Carbon Gen 2 (Haswell)

Discussion in 'ThinkPad Edge, X1, X100e/X120e, & SL/L' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Here are the first informations about the new ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Haswell, the successor to the last years X1 Carbon:
    ThinkPad X3.PNG ThinkPad X3-2.PNG

Things different from the X1 Carbon (beside the new Intel plattform):
    - Even thinner (17.2mm / 18.76mm with Touch) and lighter (1.27kg instead of 1.36kg), still the same 13" footprint
    - New Display-Options: FHD, FHD Touch, QHD (2560x1440) IPS
    - LTE and NFC available
    - New OneLink Dockport available
    - Same battery size, more battery life (due to the new Intel Plattform)
    - New hinge design and new 5-button TouchPad
    - According to this document, no more soldered RAM, one DIMM

That also means the "ThinkPad 9 Slim" Prototype won´t come to market as the X1 Carbon successor.

Taken from here: https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=...RoEKPrTE1ZHaXWOnA&sig2=y9GuyZWE63UcKsEq90KIqg

lead_org and Tirilwen like this.
  2. hitmaninblood

hitmaninblood Newbie

Reputations:
    Danke! Wie immer bestens informiert :)

Tirilwen likes this.
  3. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    No problem! ;) But since this is an international forum, it think we should stay with English. :D

lead_org likes this.
  4. 600X

600X Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like this design better. I never liked the way the X1C looked and felt.

5. Zzzandman

Zzzandman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great find! I buy one if QHD-display support touch....

6. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    danke schon. Gracias. Thank you. :)

7. ThatLinuxGuy

ThatLinuxGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Matte available?

8. lead_org

Reputations:
    they use some sort of spray on matte finish like on the ThinkPad Yoga. From the video demo on the Youtube, it doesn't cut down reflection that much, but the amount finger smudges that it attracts is atrocious.

P.S. Having a close look at the X3, why does it looks so much like a Macbook Air 13 in design profile?

9. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    I think they have taken the same design as the X1 Carbon, the only things they really changed are the hinges (which is right, it is the style of the Macbook Air, which Lenovo also adopted with the S-Series) and the new TouchPad. Also, it seems to be a bit less rounded than the X1 Carbon, a bit sharper profile, but maybe it just seems so in the picture. I know there were some problems with the hinges on the X1 Carbon, especially in the Touch-version, cause the screen was so heavy that the hinges could not hold the screen in position very good.

As the developers of the X1 Carbon stated in the Lenovo Blogs, they have designed the X1 Carbon with the MBA in mind, the design bas basically a mixture of the X1 and the MBA in some way: http://blog.lenovo.com/design/developers-on-the-x1-carbon-industrial-design

What I like about the X3 compared with the X1 Carbon: The Onelink-Port (since it really makes the X3 to an business Ultrabook, a Dockingport is a must-have for business and professional users, something I have painfully learned in my time with the T430u) and the fact that it has one DIMM if the information there is really true (I hope so). Also, I hope they will use the 80mm M.2 SSD formfactor instead of the propritary form-factor they used with the X1 Carbon.

lead_org likes this.
  10. lead_org

Reputations:
    i think the ThinkPad X3 is really good, the only thing that is letting it down is the HDMI port, wish it has the miniDP instead (same problem as the ThinkPad Yoga).

But the battery life on the X3 seems a bit short, as compared to the Macbook Air 13, which can do over 10 hrs.

11. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    In the 2. slide in the startpost, there is listed a mDP port in the featurelist. I guess we will see when Lenovo finally announces the X3.

12. Yuxie

Yuxie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm a little disappointed with this upgrade. The only notable difference is the better screen. Only if instead of thinning down the machine, they put in a bigger battery.

13. w_km

w_km Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just like the new Yoga 2 Pro...amazing display, extremely slim form factor, excellent build quality, but absolute garbage keyboard. It's like they split the ThinkPad tablet in half and inserted a thin keyboard between the internals and the display. Why not put a similar UltraHD display in the T440p? Why? Why?! Why?!?!!

oxf77 likes this.
  14. urbanglowcam

urbanglowcam Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for posting ibmthink.

Judging by the slide, it appears there will be two versions, a touch and non-touch. Having the X1 Carbon, X1 Carbon Touch, and now Samsung Series 9, I really want something that offers the best of both worlds.

Since I had early trouble with both Carbon models I had to return and go with the Samsung. It offers the better display, so I hope Lenovo has caught up in that area. It appears they have with the focus on multiple display models. I want a touch model but I'll probably have to go with whatever offers the matte display. Unless they can offer the touch with a less glossy panel.

I noticed with the X1 Carbon Touch that it was one of the few touch models with a matte display. the only thing is, it appeared they had a manufacturer installed film over it to make it this way. This may be the reason a lot of people complained about the screen door effect it had.

15. dennisyy

dennisyy Newbie

Reputations:
    Interesting specification!
    There are two points I am not sure in the slides:
    1.For previous x1 carbon and current x240s, the touch will increase not only thickness, but also the weight by about 150g, which makes the touch something like "additional function". The x3 touch, although 1.5mm thicker, seems get an identical weight with no-touch version. I know this is common for other brands, but I still wonder whether it is true, or just a mistake in the pdf? If the x3 touch finally comes out at 1.27kg, it will be a step further on weight than x240s.
    2.The pdf shows FHD touch screen, but why not put "touch" with QHD? Does this mean QHD screen will only have a no-touch version? If so, I will choose a touch FHD since 1440p sounds not impressively like yoga2 3200x1800 screen.

16. Yuxie

Yuxie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What do you suppose "Smart keyboard with dynamic keys" mean?

17. droyder

droyder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you know when will this be released in the USA?

thanks so much for posting.

18. droyder

droyder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the X3 does have a miniDP. look at the 2nd image he posted with the specs.. it says miniDP.

19. lead_org

Reputations:
    nice miniDP phew... now this is will be a machine i am interested in.

20. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, the qHD will not support touch? Disappointing.