X-Files 2016

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HTWingNut, Jan 25, 2016.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Lots of articles point to having more than 6 episodes. Possibly a couple 12 episode seasons.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a matter of perspective, and recentness of exposure, as David Duchovny as Fox Mulder moves into Hank Moody's pants he carried the humor of Fox Mulder into the role, and exiting Californication David Duchovny brought that flavor from our minds into the new Fox Mulder experience.

There is a reddit about this, of course :)

Mulder has a bit of Hank Moody in him now.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/XFiles/comments/46qs76/mulder_has_a_bit_of_hank_moody_in_him_now/

MrJDouble 15 points 1 day ago
    "Totally can see this and actually had this same conversation with my brother. I was wondering if they writing / directing had changed or if his version of Mulder is now saturated with HM.

The Mulder I remember was a somber and sober man, with a very dry, jaded outlook and sense of humor."

Viking521 5 points 1 day ago
    "Agreed, I just finished watching the early seasons and Mulder frequently jokes about grim situations. I see HM as a more "let loose" version of Mulder in some ways."

It's David Duchovny. As Hank Moody, as Fox Mulder(s).

It's the actor's will coming through. I think that is what made both shows successful, and I like it.

David Duchovny: ‘I can't play Mulder the way I did. That would be obscene’
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/05/david-duchovny-xfiles-mulder-gillian-anderson
    "For now, he’s back with his original X-Files team, and having viewed the first two episodes, it’s clear that Fox Mulder has lost his faith. It’s as though more of Duchovny has seeped into his greatest creation. Mulder was a character defined by unwavering belief, but the actor who portrays him is sceptical of most things: strangers, social media, the very concept of fame.

“Mulder was always the engine and Scully was like the brake,” Duchovny says. “And now we had the guy who wasn’t putting his foot on the gas and she’s not putting her foot on the gas, either. I thought, ‘Well, where is the energy coming from?’ We had to get moving, and it was hard for me to try to figure out how to drive the show without being the guy who’s driving the show. I’m not sure if I succeeded.”"

Given these revelations, passing through the moments to discover Mulder's lack of faith, motivation, drive, I hope Chris Carter's team comes up with a new defining moment to reignite Mulder's passion, and with the same event re-connect Scully with Mulder's new mission.

Or, as we have come to know it through the repetition of 10 seasons, as another New Episode of The X-files :cool:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    killkenny1 likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Watching it again, it gives me the remembrance of the central genius of the X-files, to take a painful subject, inject the mysterious, with a touch of science, humor, and horror mixed together while delivering a successful outcome.

Yet the central question of the episode with the X-files flavor, are stated through the ending, with it's persistance, into the future.

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Mind Quad, the web site hosting the Obama interview Mulder is watching during his reveal (05:25), and Mind-Quad, the state of mind, the definition of the central theme of the X-files.

Mind-quad

When a situation renders your brain to be completely unable to process the events that are unfolding.

Unable to come up with a retort for something.

Friend: If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    Friend: Dude that's a Mind-quad.

The X-files, an X-files episode central question, a Mind-quad. :)

"My Struggle" 05:25 starts with so many audio, visual, textual queues exquisitely layered to evoke "Hollywood", life as a story, life as fiction, life as a drama of uncontrollable events that unfolds under the control of the characters driving the X-files, welcoming us all back into their world - our world.

Enough from me, anyone else care to share their observations?

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Plan on watching tonight! :)

hmscott likes this.
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Just watched it. Yep. Would be a major bummer of an end of life series. WAAAY too open ended for me.

hmscott likes this.
  9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I want to watch anything without feeling being ripped off. I was promised mini-series of 6 episodes... and then latest episode takes 5 minutes for showing frames o f o n l y f i r s t e p i s o d e aka if you still didn't get, director was giving us only 2 episodes of TV show X-Files and 4 episodes of X-Files show (if you get the difference).

If you start analyzing you may think that actually all other 4 episodes were like classic X-Files because there was one about their son and "talented" children, then there was one about typical x-files creature which protected homeless and they needed to bring one episode for inviting new pair of actors so let's just give it to them. Even joke episodes like about were-human were in classic X-Files. BUT... I still feel big CUT between 1-st and last episode. Why?

Because there were 4 out of 6 between only 2 which really matter! They shouldn't have brought to us that sketchy episode about were-human, the foolish one. Not the right place to spoil 1 episode when there are just 6 out of it.

But hey... you see why they did it. Because the only thing they mattered were 2 episodes so they could make fat cliff-hunger so they would get more money to prolong series. Nothing more.

@hmscott , that is why I wrote before that not just Mulder is in Moody's pants, but director is too. He just gives us episodes with the same careless of Hank Moody's behavior.

hmscott likes this.
  10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    X-files has always been a plot within a plot. It follows a season/franchise long story all the while doing other crazy things. Kind of like side missions in adventure games. For a six episode mini-series I would be quite disappointed if that is how they completely ended it though, I must say. If they were to end it I was hoping for six episodes of the whole CSM conspiracy, aliens, and overtaking the world. But this just points to more episodes/seasons so as long as they do that, I'll be wholly satisfied. I was thinking this might lead up to another X-files movie, preferably the caliber of the first one. The second one was, meh, but first one I still go back and watch it time and again. It's good.