WTF has gone wrong with the PC World?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by HTWingNut, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It used to be exciting times anticipating new tech. Waiting for the "next best thing". Now it only brings disappointment and discouragement.

CPU's focus solely on lowering TDP, artificially throttling, and cramming as much I/O and graphics on it that they can, resulting in a power hungry and hot chip that isn't allowed to run appropriately. Performance has stagnated. Working on power reduction is great and all, but we also need opposite end of the spectrum. And of course the fact that Intel is near monopoly in the x86/x64 space doesn't help matters. Let's not forget the whole soldered vs socket debate either.

GPU's are in the same boat. Near monopoly Nvidia pushes out crappy drivers, voltage throttling, and artificial limitations that can be circumvented by a third party BIOS, so we know it's possible to push the tech much further than they release. Instead of focusing on smart TDP design to get the most out of the card, instead they cram as much vRAM as they can that in most cases is not even necessary, considering desktop counterparts have less vRAM.

LCD's are at least getting a little love, except they keep pushing out 4k LCD's instead of some intermediary resolution and focus on improved response and refresh and generally improved quality. Where are all the 2560x1440 (or better yet 2560x1600) LCD's? And pushing 4k for gaming is not a good match yet. You can run at 1080p and it looks good, but it's still noticeably scaled.

And then we get to the OS. We go from a solid, productive, user friendly Windows 7 designed entirely with mouse and keyboard interface, because well, it's a PC after all. But then MS starts the abomination that was Windows 8. They improved slightly with Windows 8.1 but it's really nothing but a glorified Windows 7, and still missing some components and requires third party apps to make it usable. Touch screens on a PC can die. Plain and simple If I want touch screen, I'll get a tablet or a smartphone. I don't want my LCD smudged, and be a glossy reflective mess. If you like this stuff. Fine, happy for you, but go away, it doesn't work for me. Then we have the stillborn that is Windows 10. Windows Big Brother. You don't need to have any control over your $2000 computer. Microsoft knows better than anyone what updates and drivers you want and need to install. Microsoft GTH.

Enthusiasts be damned. Microsoft and PC makers would do better if they catered to us enthusiasts like they have in the past. We're free advertising for them. We can show people what their technology is capable of. We can be a cheerleader for Team Green or Team Red or Team Blue, but it works out for everyone. Now we just get a dumb device that does what it wants, not what you want.

I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm old and crabby. I'm mainly just depressed that one hobby that I've had most of the 42 years of my life is quickly going down the toilet and nothing I can do about it. There's nothing really coming out to be excited about. Faster Firewire...ooh. DDR4... oooh. 3.2% CPU performance increase with lowered TDP... oooh.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    much larger ssd drives hit the market later this year.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. It's completely empty.

You beat tiller to it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    Keith, Peon, TomJGX and 4 others like this.
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nice rant, sorry had to G rate it a bit. As far as the SSD's I am thinking about the new 2TB's but the Samsung's I think still have that Linux black list issue for live Trim. It is true though that the enthusiast, once considered the heart of the market, has been getting royally screwed as of late. This is one of the biggest reasons the PC market is down.

Newer, faster and better used to drive the market with enthusiasts being the first adopters. Then the Jones's had to have their piece of the pie and then Smiths had to one up as well, so on and so on. Now there is nothing left driving that market engine. Just all of this lackluster hard/software.

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    its true what wingnut is ranting about...the only thing im excited about at the moment is new and faster storage coming out. aside from that, im of course curious about what the rumoured 990M and pascal will bring to the table. but looking at recent developments, it gets harder and harder for enthusiasts to find their niche...i mean, how much choice do u have left if u want to opt for an upgradeable (=non-soldered), true high performance laptop these days? theres only clevo, msi and now alienware with their refreshed AW18 left, thats it! and even put together ull only get like a handful of models to choose from...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    CPU power is there if you can need it, called clusters. "PC" cpu only need to satisfy personal need, which I think is plenty...
    GPU isnt all that bad, you get 980m after 3 generation of essentially the same card, (680m,780m,880m). That is about 2.5 year gap if wiki is right on the launch date.
    LCD, imo is slow, where is da OLED~,

I think a proper title is
    WTF has gone wrong with PC GAMING/Performance?
    but hey, you don't even have much good game going on.

PC world isn't all that bad, you have all the convertibles, windows tablet etc etc

7. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Did Skylake actually hit 3.2% average improvement over Broadwell? If so that's slightly higher than I remembered, good for Intel!

But yes, I agree. Things have been very "meh" lately. SSDs coming of age in 2010 - 2012 (depending on your space requirements) was big, and 2012 was about the last time GPUs jumped a bunch until Maxwell. Other than that, not a whole lot of reason to upgrade. Sandy Bridge to Skylake... yawn. A nice intermediate screen res that a non-$500 GPU can handle? Not necessarily easy to come by (hello, 2560x1600 27" LCD?). Easily upgradeable laptops? That's why I bought a used 2010 workstation instead of a 2014 model (well, that and the screen).

On the positive side, next year should see 14nm (or is it 16nm?) CPUs from AMD, and 14 nm GPUs from AMD and nVIDIA. So that at least should be worth following. Personally I'm hoping AMD does impressively, since as you've mentioned both Intel and nVIDIA are approaching monopoly status, and that certainly isn't good for competition over the long term. Thus far AMD hasn't been close enough to Intel in CPUs for me to buy one of theirs, but in GPUs where my needs are more modest that's part of the reason I've been favoring them the past several years (the other being soldergate and nVIDIA's response to it).

Still, even if 14nm does bring things back to how they used to be next year, it certainly hasn't been like the heady days where Moore's Law translated nearly directly to performance as well as the number of transistors.

Would've +repped the post as well as liking it, but apparently you've been the only one posting things worthy of repping lately and I need to spread the love around a bit before +repping again.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    ExMM, TomJGX and alexhawker like this.
  9. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMO, that guy ^ is full of calabasa (<- from spanish ) since his report on what happened couple years ago when somebody (cough .. who might that be) fired something (that was explained like an airplane...) from the sea (a sub maybe .. lol) off the coast of California.

anyways

technology, hmmmm, CPU I dont need more, GPU - hell yes, and SSDs .... of course I want.

besides that, I hope Win 7 has been patched enough by now so that I can actually upgrade to it :D

10. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Technology is advancing so quickly because these monopolies have so much money to throw towards development of it. We are really just bystanders

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.