WTB MXM 2.1 GPU nvidia or Ati under $200

Discussion in 'Price Check Forum' started by dwend, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwend

dwend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am looking for a replacement card for my A-51 m15x since the 8800mGTX recently took a crap.

It is a MXM 2.1 type HE, so a Type III would work as well.
    I am looking for either a Ati 4650 & higher or a nvidia 8800GTS & higher.
    I trying keep it below $250.

Thanks.

2. Eggs Scrambled

Eggs Scrambled Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. doublek19

doublek19 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I heard the website sucks..dwend did you order it?

4. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    I thought the area 51 kinda sucked for cards above 65w? and does it even support that card?

5. dwend

dwend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No I have no ordered it. I am going to keep my dead 8800mGTX, I baked it and got it to half work (only works 100% with HDMI). But I am going to be building a desktop when the new AMD and ATI chips come out, so hopefully the card will hold up till then.

This is the second time I had to bake this GPU. Both times have revived the card. The first time I was getting BSOD every time I used a graphic intense program, and then the second time I had no screen upon booting even in the BIOS. But then if booted with the integrated Intel chip it was fine.

6. pkhetan

pkhetan CopyLEFT ↄ⃝

Reputations:
    Unless you have made a custom cooling system/heat sink, your M15X will not work well with an FX3700M. With the original heat sink, the maximum recommended GPU is GTX9800M/FX2700M or the GTX260M if compatible with your mobo revision.
    One more thing if you have an HE connector on your mobo, don't buy any GPU without HE connector because you will loose the potential extra power that you can get from an HE GPU card.

7. niffcreature

Reputations:
    OK that really doesnt make sense.

So you think he should buy an Nvidia 7950 gtx instead of an ATI 4650 just because of the HE tab?

with that logic you might go around asking 'whats your graphics power in watts' :p

8. niffcreature

Reputations:
    Also, doublek19 got a 3600m from notebookparts when ordering a 3700m but they're sold out now anyway...

9. pkhetan

pkhetan CopyLEFT ↄ⃝

Reputations:
    You have given an extreme example. You know what i meant about the HE connector, If you have for example (GTX260M with HE) and (FX3700M without HE) and your motherboard has the HE connector, then the 260 will work more powerfully than the 3700. Not only this but also the 3700 will try to squeeze your motherboard because by default this card requires more watts while the motherboard by default has its own equation to distribute the electrical source; this squeezing will lead the electrical current to discharge more heat and this will lead the system to give order to the card to decrease its frequencies, then a 3700 with less power and less frequencies... what is the point :(

10. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have never seen a 3700m without an HE tab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.