WTB Geforce 7900 GS for my Dell Inspiron 9400

Discussion in 'Price Check Forum' started by kgout33, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgout33

kgout33 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Inspiron,

Unfortunately it looks like I would only be able to use a single pipe 7900 GS card. If you think otherwise, let me know.

Kgout33

2. kgout33

kgout33 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have experience with replacing a video card in a Dell laptop? I don't have any experience working with hardware in a laptop and of course I wouldn't want to screw anything up.

If anyone has experience, I would love to know how difficult they think this would be for someone with moderate experience working with desktop hardware and zero with laptops.

Thanks,
    Kgout33

3. S.SubZero

S.SubZero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I replaced a failed 7900GS Go in my E1705 (same as 9400) with a 7950GTX Go. I've always hated working on laptops, but the Dells for the most part are simply screwed or tabbed together and they come apart without much trouble.

The process is easy enough that it's easy to find the info on google.

http://eduncan911.com/archive/2007/12/11/why-the-inspiron-is-a-king.aspx

Like that link shows, I had to snap off the plastic walls for the second heatpipe. It's only tricky cuz the system board is there.

He also upgrades the CPU, if you ignore that part it's actually pretty short.

4. kgout33

kgout33 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting that. A lot of detail in there, doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

5. inspiron_geek

inspiron_geek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Process to install the card is not difficult.I did it myself without a glitch.

The guide that S.SubZero posted is pretty thorough.

Take care.

6. kramer65

kramer65 Newbie

Reputations:
    i've got a 7900 GS that is overheating... i can't keep it under 85c with the fans at full speed. it also makes the speedstep slow down the cpu to 1ghz. i have taken it apart and added some thermal paste to the cpu and gpu heatsinks with no luck. i believe the 7900 is bad and want to replace it... anyone have a good place to pick one up or anyone on here have one for sale? thanks.

7. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    why not get the 7950 gtx?
    Its the beast for inspiron 9400.
    Also it can still play the latest games. I previously had 9400 with 7900 gs and had a lot of problems so I shouted many times at dell and they replaced it with a xps m1730.:D

8. Lukeman

Lukeman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ebay item # 250378918569

FX2500M (7900GTX) for $151. The Quadros are the exact same cards as the GeForces. You can even flash the card with a 7900GTX bios if preferred. You can look for an FX1500M to flash to the 7900GS or an FX3500M to flash to the 7950GTX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.