WTB: CF-52 Bluetooth & Fingerprint Reader

Discussion in 'ToughBook Buy Sell and Trade Forum' started by ChrisInVT, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisInVT

ChrisInVT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking to upgrade my MK5 CF-52V with OEM bluetooth & fingerprint reader. I added both to my MK2HP and use them daily. I'm finding myself swiping my thumb on a dummy cover constantly, and I'm not a fan of keping the flap open with a USB receiver.

I found a bluetooth card on ebay, but no cable so pretty useless. I'm trying not to pull the parts out of my MK2, but I just might. Anyone have anything?

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I had a FP reader. i will look and see if I can locate it.
    BT is a lesser posibility, but maybe. I think I already sold it.

3. ChrisInVT

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I know the fingerprint reader will work because the one on my MK2 is from an MK1, and I already installed and used it on the MK5.
    I'm not sure if the bluetooth module/wiring was ever upgraded between the different revisions, I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

Edit: I think my MK1 & MK2 had the cable for the bluetooth preinstalled. The MK5 is a NOS federal version and I had to add WWAN & WiFi to it.

4. ChrisInVT

Reputations:
    I have the MK5 town down for a backlit kepboard install and noticed there's no header on the mainboard next to the modem for the bluetooth module like there is in my MK1 and MK2. Does the MK5 have a bluetooth header? I don't see anything glancing over, and I don't want to remove the heatsinks and shrouding to investigate further.

5. Shawn

Reputations:
    Post a photo of the main BIOS page please.

What is the exact model of the WIFI card?

What is the full model number?

6. ChrisInVT

Reputations:
    Can't post BIOS, it's currently a pile of parts.
    WiFi is an Intel card I added myself, It's a federal model with unlocked BIOS
    I also added a Gobi WWAN with GPS
    CF-52VDB131M

I emailed Panasonic for the service manual, we'll see if they respond. I use to do a lot of out-of-warranty work with Heartland for my previous employer with the CF-52 MK1 through MK4. I might have to find my old contact's info and see if they can give me one if Panasonic doesn't reply. I'm honestly wondering if the MK5 doesn't have the option for Bluetooth, but I'm not sure why they'd have a dummy board installed.

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    CF-52VDB131M--I have same model here with 20 hours on it.

No Wireless Win7 Intel Core i5-3360M 2.80GHz No AMT 15.4"" WUXGA 500GB(7200rpm) 8GB(4+4) No WLAN TPM No Bluetooth ATI DiscreteGraphics Smartcard No Absolute BIOS Multi-drive Toughbook Preferred

But what is the exact model of WIFI card----It matters.

Bluetooth works fine on mine. Bluetooth is on the WIFI card. CF52V does not use dedicated BT card.

WIFI card in mine is Intel 6235
    Panasonic number WL12A
    I pulled the card from a CF 31--probably have another card here.

CF 52's have always been very picky about WIFI cards.

I will post photos of my CF 52V shortly. I installed a third WIFI antenna where the dedicated BT card for early models went. I will be installing a Broadcom 802.11 AC card for WIFI in the future like I did in my CF 52S model. The third antenna will go to it.
    But when I do that, I will lose bluetooth. I dont use bluetooth anyway, so that's not a big deal to me. 1300Mbps is a big deal though.

8. Shawn

Reputations:
    @toughasnails

Blair,
    Please split off the question and information posts into a CF 52V mk5 Bluetooth/WIFI thread.
    Maybe start at post #4 of this thread?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  9. Shawn

Reputations:
    CF 52V federal model
    added WIFI and 3rd antenna.
    20180626_070035.jpg
    20180626_070935.jpg 20180626_070726.jpg

10. ChrisInVT

Reputations:
    Ahh, good to know. Right now I have a Intel WiMAX 6250 with two antennas. I have a few 3-antenna cards, and a few other cards at home. At work I have a whole bunch of older Dell laptops I can paw through to scavenge others from. A quick looks shows the Dells have Intel 5300, Intel 6300, Dell Wireless 1501, and I just found an Intel 7260HMW. I'll put the laptop back together and see if that card works because it has integrated bluetooth. I also added a 3rd antenna under the BT dummy cover, but probably will never put it to use. Just something to have if I upgrade later on.

Shawn likes this.