WTB Alienware m18x R2

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Forum' started by Koldun, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I wouldn't bother with 980M SLI unless you need it for mDP 1.2 for 4K 60hz output or you just want to do benchmarks.

1070 or P4000 are the current sweet spots. P4000/P5000 are the most robust cards since they are actual OEM cards made to high standards whereas the 1070 is a card where the die is replaced making it a bit less reliable.

I am currently running P4000 and it works great. If I can get the RTX 3000 to work this weekend, I will sell my P4000.

I am using the fairy tale MXM to NVMe adapter in SLOT2 with a 1TB Samsung 980 PRO SSD.

I also recently upgraded to 32GB DDR3L 2133Mhz RAM.

You can see my specs in signature but I would recommend:

3920XM or 3940XM (whichever is cheaper and is an oem working pull) [make sure to also get the 3-pipe heatsink]

32GB RAM 2133Mhz (1866Mhz is fine too, 1600Mhz is also fine but 2133 will get you the highest performance but it's not a super big difference)

RAID0 SSDs (I am still using 2x 840 Pros in RAID0 and they are fast) or try and source a MXM NVMe adapter. @UltraGSM might be able to help.

P4000, 1070, P5000 GPU. These all work and will give you no issues. They have the best performance and thermals and are basically plug n play with the unlocked bios. [You can do 980M SLI if you really want but don't expect full performance in most games today due to SLI being almost dead. Also 980M SLI has throttling issues in M18xR2]

AX210 Wi-Fi 6E card (I can send you a link to the ones I bought. I have Wi-Fi 6E and BT 5.2 in my M18xR2 and M14xR2 now.

Windows 10

I was planning on making a thread with all the upgrades once my RTX 3000 is working

Maxware79 likes this.
  2. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    I'll vouch for @Maxware79 with my hand to my heart, Id buy from him with my eyes closed, dealt with him before many times, Top Class A+ every time, so theres no worries there, and @Maxware79 will only send you machine assembled and in excellent condition , knowing how he does things, hes very keen and OCD about little things) unless you insisted otherwise, Id encourage look no further, youre in the good hands there

3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you kind sir

UltraGSM likes this.
  4. Emm3

Emm3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am considering posting my m18x for sale. I have not used it much at all since purchase as I built a desktop rig around that time and I’ve only been using that.
    I’ll post the specs it’s the highest at the time 4940xm, 32gb Ram 1tb quad raid ssd, dual 880m gpus.. have original box etc. battery still holds tiny charge no errors . Any questions feel free to pm

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Alienware 18 is not M18x R2....

electrosoft and Maxware79 like this.
  6. Emm3

Emm3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My bad I just assumed it would’ve been the latest version.

7. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you PM me. I don't seem too have that option to PM. I'm am interested. Especially since you have original packaging.
    I have already gotten a mint m18x R2 and wouldn't mind a Viking to add to my collection.

8. Howard Ball

Howard Ball Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello I am actually looking to buy a m18x R2 myself if anyone has one for sale.

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The OP here ended up finding one locally so I didn't end up selling him the one I have. The problem with me is that I'm in Australia so the shipping costs make it less viable if you're in the US or Europe. The one I was going to send him wasn't in bad condition but a little rough for my liking so I've already started stripping it down to do a custom respray. I also don't have the HDD ribbon cable for it. I sold it a little while ago because my plan was to sell the laptop for parts instead of rebuilding it. It's running off a 512gb mSata SSD.
    You are much better off trying to find one locally but if you have no luck then mine will be available when I've finished respraying it.

10. Howard Ball

Howard Ball Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah for sure send me any pictures (even in pieces lol) or when its done. My idea is just to have it as a retro gaming pc at home. I just like the aesthetics of the laptop and don't really mind if it spray painted or anything. I think as long as the screen itself isn't too bad id be good. I'll eventually look for whatever other parts it may need as well so that wouldn't be a problem. PM with what you're looking to get for it. I am not sure about the shipping cost (since I never bought from Australia) but after reading the good testimonies of your work, I am more than willing to consider the shipping cost worth it anyways. I'm in the US in Florida.

Thanks in advance!