WTB Alienware m18x R2

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Forum' started by Koldun, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a m18x r2. Any configuration is fine, I'm gonna upgrade it to my liking anyway. I've been looking on EBay and there few and far between.

Thank you.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    UltraGSM likes this.
  3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have one that is currently in pieces and I've been planning on fixing it up with a respray. It probably wouldn't come with any dedicated GPU's which will keep the price down. The problem with me is that I'm half a world away so shipping to the US or Europe is expensive.

4. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    Maxware79, it does sound appealing. I am going to gut the system anyway so GPU and CPU don't matter to me. Unfortunately as you mentioned, your half a world away, I'm also not too fond of it already being in pieces. Thanks anyway.

Hopefully I'll get some more bites. Fingers crossed.

My other thought I was pondering is get a nice r1 and convert, but thats another thread.

5. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's very expensive to do the R1 to R2 conversion. Along with the R2 board you'll also need the R2 HDD ribbon cable which can be expensive. Just keep hunting and you'll find one sooner or later. Let me know if you don't have any luck though and maybe we can work something out. I wouldn't ship it in pieces of course.
    I would want to give it a custom respray though as the lids and palmrests I have aren't looking good.

6. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. Maxware79
    Since you mentioned that it wont come in pieces I'm definitely interested. This might be the laptop I've been looking for. As I mentioned I'm planning to add my own CPU, GPUs, HDDs, RAM and WiFi card. So a carcass for me would be ideal. Heck I don't even need you to respray the thing.

What I want is a nice clean screen with zero defects, no scratches. If you have any SLI components please include those also.

Let me know on your offer total with shipping and we will go from there.

Thank you

7. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh sorry, forgot to mention, I'm in Seattle WA, US.

That will help you calculate the total cost.

8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll work something out over the weekend. You didn't want a basic 3630QM CPU so you can at least turn it on to test?
    Oh and I have working OEM batteries too (with decent battery health) which are getting harder to find.
    The palmrest probably won't be pretty and I don't usually like selling things that aren't in good condition. They get sticky and/or scratched. When I sort it all out I will send some photos

9. Koldun

Koldun Newbie

Reputations:
    Great! Take your time. The 3630 is a great idea, please include that and the batteries. Don't worry about the palmrest, I understand liking stuff nice but I can replace it with a new one.

I'm planning to completely refurbish it and max it out so it will last me for many more years. My plan is 3940 or a 3920. Don't know yet on GPU, 2x 980 or a 1070 or 1080. 32G RAM ect ect. So if you have parts for SLI that would help too. I did hear that a single 1070 is the way to go.

Thanks again

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dual 980M's is nice, just for the fact you're using up both MXM slots which you kind of feel you have to with the M18x. I had been using 1070 in mine until recently and I've had an MXM to NVMe adapter in the second slot. I'd suggest to go for the 10 series option as it will be cheaper than getting two 980M's and you'll get better performance. There hasn't been much success with getting a 1080 to work as most of them have the die in the wrong spot for the M18x heatsink. The Zotac 1080 is the only one that I believe will work, in theory, but I'm yet to see a working example. @ssj92 is currently testing an RTX card in his R2 so that could also be an option. I'll include the SLI cable and second heatsink anyway so it's up to you.
    Will only be one battery though. Can't be giving up any extras as they are getting very hard to find in decent condition. I still need to make sure that I have everything to put one back together.

Also, the R2 can take DDR3L memory up to 2133Mhz so if you're looking to max it out then that's what you should go for. You aren't stuck with 1600Mhz DDR3.

Also also, If you're looking to put in a 3920/3940XM then you need to find the elusive and expensive 3-pipe CPU heatsink. I have one but it's in my main machine which I don't think I'll ever sell.