Wrong (240w) extra power strip with SLI M18x

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mseels, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mseels

Mseels Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone else had this problem? In checkout for my M18x, with SLI 580m's, I could only find one option for an extra power cord. It was 240w (instead of the 330w adapter necessary).

I should have known something was up when it showed up as a separate item on my order (even though it was on the M18x configuration page). At the time I just figured this was a way for Dell to try and make me buy more stuff to reach the 15% discount at a certain dollar amount - the power strip didn't count towards my "total", and I had to buy more features I didn't necessarily even want to get to that discount. I asked my salesman why it (and my wireless video adapter) were separate and he acted confused, made something up, didn't resolve the problem, and that was that.

I haven't even tried the thing until now - and it clearly isn't meant for this computer, gives me a message when booting up that it's insufficient power, won't charge the battery (but computer will run), runs on native graphics (no Nvidia cards).

Before I call support and lose 8 hours of my life, trying to explain to 9 different people, in 7 different departments, on 4 continents where none know what the other is doing - has anyone else encountered this, and is it a known issue that Dell will address? I realize I will need to call support/sales, I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on where to start, as if my purchase was any indication I could be in for a LONG day. Thanks!

(my apologies if this posts twice, nbr forums are stalling on "submit" button for some reason)

2. BlackStar2012

BlackStar2012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never used it personally but reaching dell support on twitter
    @DellCares usually helps people especially as a starter

3. jywang

jywang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    While placing my order over the phone my rep added the 330w power adapter for $99 + tax.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you received a 240W AC adapter they shipped the incorrect one. It will not work. Have them ship you an exchange. You must have the 330W AC adapter to work with 580M SLI (or any other dual GPU configuration in the M18x for that matter).