WoW MOP: screen shaking issue

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Heihachi88, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there anyone playing WOW on M18x R2 with 7970m crossfire? I have sometimes screen shaking on my display (only in wow happens), effect looks like when a mobile phone near monitor calling.
    Using ULTRA graphics preset. 12.11 Beta 11 drivers with CAP2. Thanks in advance.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Does it happen with CrossFire disabled, too? Or, just when running in CrossFire mode? If the latter is true, try forcing vsync on if you haven't already tried that. There are a few games... not many... that I had this trouble with CrossFire if vsynch was disabled. The worst one of all was Skyrim and it was almost unplayable with vsync turned off and CrossFire turned on. With SLI it is not quite as bad, but still not a good Skyrim experience without vsync.

3. Sgt.DeeTrix

Sgt.DeeTrix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I play MoP frequently and I find when the SLi is enable, my shadows at ultra or even at high settings, makes the game unbarring to play with all the flickering of shading. So now I just play it with the SLi disabled. I tried at first to lower the shadow in SLi, but it took away many of the spectacular viewing and richness of the game.

On a final note, I have discovered that Blizzard Corp. have not made the necessary adjustments on certain GPU's and more importantly, playing the game in SLi.

4. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Actually WOW has never had good xFire and SLI support. I would recommend you to disable it for a better experience on that game.

5. jlyons264

jlyons264 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it works great with my 560's... I can be sitting in stormwind with 60+ fps (with almost everything maxed) and they both are at 80%+ usage... I guess I am lucky...

6. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    It may work ok with it, but WoW has never really been Xfire/SLI or multi CPU core optimized.

Your cards are pretty old now, and refinements and maturation through the drivers/profiles themselves are most likely the reason for any gains realized from SLI not WoW itself.

7. xmadror

xmadror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I reactivated the game this week.
    I found out that using "optimize 1x1" will give better result. Make a profile for it in CCC.
    There will be flickering for a second or 2 after a loading or an alt-tab and you cant use shadow at high because there will be flickering but medium or ultra runs fine.
    There is not a lot to be gained though since the cards never show a gpu usage over ~60% even when at less then 60 fps (vsync)

Everything maxed I get from 40(only in large outdoor area) to 60fps (almost everywhere else) with vsync and 2x SSAA, the really weird thing is that I get the exact same fps from the laptop screen (1920x1080) then I get from my home monitor at 2560x1440.
    Only thing that could explain it is that the game would be CPU limited but I dont think my 3720qm (with 400mhz overclock) is holding me back (there are not that many stock cpu that are significantly better then a 3720qm)
    I also know someone who runs the game on a AMD Phenom II 965 (at an impressive 4.5ghz) with a gtx 560 ti 448 with slightly better result then me.
    I'm quite sure there is something wrong with either the driver or the game.

IIRC performance is significantly better now, compared to what it was when MoP launched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.