Would you use touch screen on a laptop with a multitouch OS?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by techtonic, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If they can get it to work like Leap then I'm good.

2. XPForever

XPForever Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That.

Completely agree.

Hybrid = failing or performing overally below average than if the system/os were optimized for one direction.

3. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Everyone needs shrinks :D Would you like my card?

Not necessarily. The matte screen protector I use on my iPad ($5 at most) does not hold any fingerprints at all.

Well you're gotta do SOME work :p No sense in life being too easy, eh?

Mr. Mysterious

4. AftershockPC

AftershockPC Company Representative

Reputations:
  5. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think that provided you had something comfy to rest your elbows on then that shouldn't be too bad, though it might limit your range of movement. Whether I'd use it is another thing.

I remember when someone I know suggested that voice interaction would be the future of computer use. I pretty much facepalmed.

6. Alls

Alls Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In fact, it's just a matter of time and user-friendly interface...
    For example:
    BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype - www.bumptop.com - YouTube
    How convenient touch gestures to do it!

With best regards,
    Alex.

PS. Indeed, I rarely use my M6600 touchscreen, but my little daughter has found constant use for it! For example, it scrolls through the pages on youtube... :p

7. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, that video is all the way in 2006. Actually the bolded part is interesting. I would guess that most people who answered this thread are in their 20's or older. But today, small kids expect everything with a screen to have touch capabilities (it's annoying actually). In a few years, it is likely that laptops will be more of a rarity replaced by hybrids. And even traditional laptop could see unorthodox designs like being holdable sideways like a book. It'll need to be much lighter than 5 lbs of course. You'll see all sorts of new designs in hardware and software as manufacturers fight off the iPad and Android tablets.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    IMO, the only way that a laptop with a touchscreen will work *without* awkwardness would either be with a traditional Tablet PCs (like the X220t) or with some other way to flip the screen around (a la Insprion Duo).

It's not just little kids, apparently. My mom's main piece of technology is her iPhone 4 and when she uses my W520, she tried to scroll by wiping her finger across my display :confused:

9. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I meant by hybrids--essentially laptops that can be converted to tablets.
    Touch screens are inherently less optimal but are more intuitive to non-technical users. No right click, no rollovers, no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Unfortunately, if that is what the masses want, we can only resign ourselves to this eventuality and invest in iKlear and Omnicleanz.

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why on earth would I won't my laptop to become a tablet? Laptops are laptops and tables are cheap imitations of the original. I find them of limited use at best and trendy at worst. Serving of no more value other than to give someone bragging right to the next nifty Apple gadget.
    Now you get the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.