Would you trade your M18xR2 for a desktop?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ht_addict, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Crysis 3 is a nice example where hyperthreading can make a massive difference -- I'm talking up to 40% framerate increases.

Mr. Fox, TBoneSan and ratchet916 like this.
  2. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    Okay, firstly, why are you outright saying that the i5 4690k - one of the most popular CPUs out there for gaming rigs - is junk just because 'some people' care more than 'just playing games' without actually clarifying that the CPU is 'junk' only for certain tasks? For the vast majority of tasks, the 4690k performs identically to a 4790k at the same clock speeds. There are far fewer people out there that really care enough about number chasing to spend the extra on an i7, compared to the number of people interested in gaming performance.

Secondly, the Alpha does not present an acceptable gaming experience to enthusiasts that want high settings at 1080p or above. It's a great little machine for people that just want to 'play games', but then again, so are the Xbox One and PS4. That doesn't mean that either of those consoles are actually any good.

Mr. Fox, I absolutely get that you're a performance enthusiast and a number chaser. There's nothing wrong with that. That's great. I understand that nothing less than the best CPU available will satisfy you. That's also great. But please don't apply your own scenario to everyone else, going around and telling people that an i5 is 'junk' because it's not the best CPU for number chasing. That would be like me saying that any graphics card slower than a 980 is 'junk' just because I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less.

If what the OP cares about is gaming, I firmly stand by my suggestion that anything more than a 4690k is overkill, and I will stand by it until someone actually shows me benchmarks that prove otherwise in more than just one or two special cases.

I'd like to see some benchmarks for that. I spent a while searching Google and couldn't find any that show any statistically significant difference between an equivalently clocked 4-core i5 and i7. It might make a difference for a 2-core CPU, or at low resolutions and settings (where games are typically far more CPU-bound), but I'd like to see comparisons between more typical quad core gaming CPUs.

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Battlefield 3 and 4 also take advantage of hyper-threading and more than six cores.

We're talking a 10-15% max increase in performance with ht though, I haven't seen a 40% increase just from ht.

4. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    I've seen hyperthreading make a significant difference for dual-core CPUs, but I haven't for anything more than that. Again, I'd really like to see benchmarks for it if anyone can provide some showing that hyperthreading makes a real difference.

5. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    You need to look at Crysis 3 benchmarks that run on v1.3 or later, because that's when full HT support was added. v1.3 came in out April 2013 so most benchmarks before that won't reflect upon the HT difference.

But here's a German benchmark showing a 40% increase in FPS going from i5-3570K to an i7-3770K.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Wow that's crazy. 18.2fps increase.

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
  8. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Reputations:
    I stand partially corrected. I didn't expect it to make any difference at all, so it is a surprise to me that it does.

However, I find those German benchmark results to be quite flawed. They're benching it at 1280x720. Lower resolutions are often known to be more CPU bound, even if they are running it at higher details. Oh, and Das Germans are running the CPUs at different clock speeds.

The above does show a difference though. With that said, it's a static scene with no information besides a static frame rate. Before I'm convinced, I'd need to see a full benchmark run at a non-peasant resolution, including details of average and minimum FPSs and graphs of the frame timings. (I'm absolutely not saying that it's not possible but I do need to see a proper benchmark run before I'm convinced.)

And I'd still recommend an i5 over an i7 to people who don't have a lot of money to burn on their computers, as the only games that I can see any hints of performing better with HT on are the most recent Battlefield games plus Crysis 3. For people who don't have thousands to spend, that's not going to justify $100 extra for the CPU when that's $100 they can spend on a better GPU or on other things like an SSD, better case, better cooling etc.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There is a valid point to every angle. Truly low budget gaming calls for an 8 core AMD CPU clocked to 5GHz in order to match performance of that i5 running at 3.5-4.0GHz for a little less money than the i5. I used to do the build on a budget thing and I was never satisfied with the outcome. Now I just wait until I can afford something better that fits what I want instead of wasting money on something I will ultimately decide to replace because I was less than satisfied with the less expensive components.

But, there's more than one way to skin a cat. All that matters is the user/owner is happy with it. What we think is what we think. We've all expressed an opinion, and all are valid based on individual perspective. So, now it's up to ht_addict to decide what works best for him, based on what he wants out of it. He can trade and replace the mobo/CPU with something better as he indicated, or keep the M18xR2 and upgrade it. Either way, he will be spending more money if having a fire-breathing beast is the end goal. If it's not the goal, he can just start gaming and see how he likes it without spending anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.