Would you trade your car for a motorcycle, if ... ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Would you trade your car for a motorcycle if you lived in town, close to everything you need?

1. Yes, I would.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No, that's not a good idea.

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Maybe, it depends.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jook33

jook33 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. it gets below -20 F sometimes, so no
    2. roads are really bad...
    3. people in cars drive like idiots, i am much safer in my car even though i am a safe cyclist

in a world where people knew how to drive and if i lived in a warmer climate, i would consider it, but definitely would not replace my car either way completely, i have a lot more utility with my car that i often use.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think keeping the car would be the best thing for me, at least for now. It's safer and it's more practical. I really want a motorcycle, though... I suppose I'll just have to save up for one.

P.S. Not sure if you guys are missing it or not, but I mentioned that there is free transportation available during the winter for students. So, I don't have to worry about the cold or snow. ;)

3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't want a motorcycle. I really need a bigger car than my present one. I need a station wagon or small van with room for my wheelchair. Which is a non folding rigid frame sportschair.

4. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Late to the party and you have already made your decision, but here goes.

You made the right call. I have three motorcycles.

2002 Honda CBR 954RR:
    Bought it in 2008 as my first bike after not riding for many years. It weighs about the same as that era 600cc bike, but has a lot more grunt. In hindsight, something like an SV650 or Ninja 650 would have been much better for me. As it turns out, I have lived to type this.

1998 Honda VFR 800:
    This is a great street bike. I bought this in 2009 because it is much more comfortable than the CBR. The the fuel injected V4 engine delivers very linear power. It pumps out all of 103 hp and is about 80 pounds heavier than the 954. That being said, I can ride all day and get up the next day not feeling like I was in a bar fight. It's faster than the numbers imply. I had the fork reworked with gold valves and sonic springs. The rear shock was replaced with one from a CBR 929RR. I had it revalved and resprung for my weight. The bike turns telepathically now.

2005 Ninja 500:
    This parallel twin is my wife's bike. She is only 4' 11" so we needed something with a low seat height (still had to lower it 3" and shave the seat). She wouldn't look at a cruiser. I think I she got spoiled riding in the back of the 954 RR at the track with me. She has seen 150+ in the front straight of Nashville Super Speedway. Sometimes I steal it and ride the hell out of it. We have ridden it quite a bit. It's a fun bike, inexpensive and simple to work on. It is old tech and the design is very dated, but parts are plentiful.

The CBR 600RR is a nice bike. You have to keep the revs up or you just don't have any steam to speak of. Not the best bike for city riding. A twin would be better.

The rules that have kept me alive on the street:

1) I am invisible.
    2) Other drivers are trying to kill me.
    3) Do not hang out in another vehicle's blind spot.
    4) Always plan for the guy behind you not stopping at the light.
    5) When stopping do so in either the left or right side of the lane, never the middle. The middle is where coolant, oil and other fluids tend to drop from cars and trucks. This can make it slick.
    6) Watch out for cars making left hand turns. They often don't see you.

If you ride with that mindset it will get you far.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    deadsmiley likes this.
  6. deadsmiley

Reputations:
  7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I first read that as

'I am invincible'

Wondered why that never worked for me. ;)

8. deadsmiley

Reputations:
    Just for fun...

At Nashville Super Speedway.

[​IMG]

My wedding day in 2010. We rode to the chapel. Got hitched. Rode to Deals Gap for a few days and rode back. :D

[​IMG]

9. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's awesome.