Would you trade your car for a motorcycle, if ... ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Would you trade your car for a motorcycle if you lived in town, close to everything you need?

1. Yes, I would.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No, that's not a good idea.

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Maybe, it depends.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beluga_Deere

Beluga_Deere Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll trade my car for a BMW GS1200 anyday.

sent from GT-I9606

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I started with a 125cc, after two years went up to 250 (altough then legally I could have gotten anything). Slammed that into a car nose and 18 years later got my current 750.

Altough notable that -89 125cc two-stroke had 27hp, more than modern 250 Ninja. The -88 250 was also a two-stroke with 50hp. That compared to my current 750cc V2 only has 62hp and it isn't scary at all :) It's noisy though. I didn't even consider a 1000cc i4 engined bike since knowing myself I'd probably kill myself with that**.

Heat and rain are a nuisance, not a problem. It's all about gear. Peforated leather or mesh jacker for hot weather and waterproof gear for rainy days. However most of the time you have wrong gear on ;)

I'd vote for get both but instead of a track-oriented replica race bike that has only gears from 1 to 3 (out of 6 or 7) usable in legal speeds and it's actually comfortable only when speeds are way above legal speeds...

Get a naked standard bike that's actually usable in everyday life. You'll get same thrills of riding while at 100mph slower speeds. You'll still drag knee at corners and smoke most cars at red lights. You'll get wet during rain and hot in sunlight, that won't change. You'll probably save a lot in insurance too. It doesn't need to be 2014 model either?

Test ride different types of bikes. Be still ready to switch to another type of bike mid-season :) Get training. Here a person cannot get motorcycle license without spending couple weeks in driving school and passing three different tests (separate handling, theory and actual driving test). Most new rider accidents/deaths happen to those guys who are now 45+ and got their motorcycle license "free" along the normal license. They just go to a bike dealer, jump on a liter sports bike and slam it into a building other side of the road...

**I still have a nice memory of that 250cc when I raced a Honda Civic CRX for two blocks. Front wheel in the air the whole time. Downhill. I had a passenger. And I won. Year was 1993. And I loved the adrenaline rush.
    I'd still do it again if I had a bike to do it with. So I will not get one.

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Getting groceries, going out with friends, etc, etc are all much more inconvenient with a bike, especially as a student. I know one student who commutes on a bike, but he still keeps a car for all other purposes.

killkenny1 likes this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I hate choppers. :mad:

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd agree your location will make a big difference. I couldn't give up my car cause most winters it's too cold and snow/ice make it dangerous, though I did read an article some time ago about a guy who rode his motorcycle in NYC year round. If you live in a warmer climate, then it might be more doable, but bikes have their limitations.

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The University supplies students with free transportation nearly everywhere in and around campus - it's a huge campus. If I live nearby, I don't think I'd have a problem with a motorcycle, but then again, Midnight made are very good points and I think maybe I should just keep my car and save up some more until I can afford both. ;)

@KLF: Thanks for the feedback. Although, I don't think I'd be happy with a 250CC motorcycle. I used to ride 250's as a kid (off-road), so I'm used to that amount of power.

7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Modern 250's are lame. I wouldn't want one either ;) That 26yr old girl had almost 10hp more than modern 2013 CBR500 yet it weighed 70kg less (140kg vs 210kg wet). What I really tried to say is that something else than 1000cc 180hp is a safer choise to start with. It doesn't necessarily have to be 250, if could be something in the 500 to 750 range, maybe a twin. Their rpm range is better suited for normal daily riding.

I wouldn't have thought about buying a Ducati before I test drove mine, it actually has some low end torq so it's nice to ride slowly too and pulls constantly until it redlines probably around 8500 (no tacho) while I4 engines start to have their power around what... 12-15k rpm? It's like riding a dirt bike on asphalt.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. I was looking at the Honda CBR600RR.

9. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Motorcycles are awesome. With that said, do you know what they call bike riders in the medical community? Organ donors. If you enjoy riding and are able to do it in optimal conditions (clear weather, smooth road, not a lot of traffic) then motorcycles are great fun. Using one as a daily driver, no matter the distance, is about the most dangerous thing you can do legally. The issue is one small mistake leads to, at best, road rash, and at worst...

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    In your shoes as a student? Probably not. If I lived some place where it never rained, low crime, and didnt go bellow 60F then Id consider it. But the only places I know of that meet the weather requirements have terrible drivers and having seen what happens after car vs bike Ill just blanket NO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.