Would you trade your car for a motorcycle, if ... ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Would you trade your car for a motorcycle if you lived in town, close to everything you need?

1. Yes, I would.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No, that's not a good idea.

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Maybe, it depends.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As the poll says. Feel free to discuss below.

I'm considering it... I am a student and plan to move into the city/town soon, pretty close to everything I need. There are buses and whatnot for the winter (3~ months). I've been told motorcycles are cheaper to maintain and own, easier to get around in, and much more fun to drive...and yes, more dangerous. So, what do you think? :thumbsup:

P.S. I've never owned a motorcycle, but I did ride dirt bikes as a kid/teenager. It may take me a week or so to get the hang of it again, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to drive one. I've only owned cars with manual transmissions, so I get the "general idea" of how it would work. Feedback from people who own bikes would be much appreciated! I'm considering the 2014 Honda CBR 600RR, maybe the 1000RR if I get a good deal. The 600RR seems like a really reliable bike. I've watched a lot of reviews on it.

EDIT: If you vote for "Maybe, it depends.", please leave a comment below explaining why you chose this given the information above.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you ever ridden a bike as a daily driver? Bikes are scary, first bike I rode on was a 1000CC Ninja.

3. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Nope, not as a daily. I rode bikes for fun as a kid/teen. I enjoyed it for the most part.

I'm hoping someone here has a motorcycle and can give me some feedback.

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Several of my old-coworkers at my mechanic's job rode bikes as daily drivers.

First was a truck driver, rode a Harley (as he had for many, many years). He lived in town and didn't take his bike on long distance trips unless is was a hot rod type trip.

Second was another truck driver. He lived a good distance away but he wanted his girlfriend to have the car during the day. He rode a Ninja.

Third was our truck boss. He had a long commute (~50 miles) and rode a cruiser-type. I don't remember the model. He didn't like having to drive a big rig all day then drive a regular car home, so he bought the bike to shake things up a bit.

The only complaint from all three was on the rare chance it was raining, it made a biker's commute somewhat miserable.

5. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    A lot is going to depend on where one lives.

In an urban area like NYC the last thing I'd want to do would be to ride a bike. You're at the mercy of other drivers at all times. Not a good idea.

Somewhere where it's less congested it *might* be an option but you'll still be a target for dimwits with more wheels, sheet metal and weight than yourself.

Take it from someone who owned and rode the original Bonneville 650 before most of the folks who'll get to post in this thread were even thought of, let alone born.

Don't get me wrong: the sheer adrenalin high of riding a bike is awesome. However, risking spending the rest of one's life in a wheelchair is not worth it IMO.

My $0.02 only...

Good luck.

6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I wouldn't want to be limited to a bike 100%, but I can see using one as a daily driver. I'm not an experienced motorcycle driver, I just rode for the first time in my life a few months ago. As far as I've see the rule with bikes is: Its not if your going to crash, but when.

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Why not have both?

8. J.Dre

Reputations:
    If I could, I would. The cost of the new apartment is taking the place of the car (if I were to get a motorcycle) and vice-versa.

I'm probably going to end up keeping the car. I had not thought about how much of a pain the rain can be for motorcyclists, and not being able to travel safely in that. I was just hoping to hear some feedback from people who own motorcycles. I know there are people out there who use them as daily drivers and always have.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! ;)

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    That's too bad. But yeah, if you can only choose one, car is the best bet.
    And rain isn't the only problem bike riders face. Heat can also be problematic. All that protection gear, it's hot in there!

10. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    In your case, that would be do-able.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.