Would you kindly help this noob out?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raiden Gekkou, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raiden Gekkou

Raiden Gekkou Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a few questions. I plan on getting an Alienware 18 next month with an 4700MQ processor and dual GTX 770M setup. I mostly want this laptop because as of now, I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q892, and when I render 10 minutes of gaming footage at 1920x1080 with a second audio track in Vegas Pro 12 at 32-bit floating point(full range), it takes slightly over 5 hours to do this. I'm hoping that with this setup, I can render that same video in under an hour. Does anyone know if this would be possible? I don't have the space for a desktop, and I like being able to whatever I want, wherever I want.

I'm also a console peasant who doesn't do much PC gaming except for League of Legends, but I want to know if i'd be able to play LoL and Loadout at maximum settings with the 4700MQ and dual GTX 770M combo? as I can't afford the 4800MQ and Dual GTX 780M combo.

Also, would I be able to upgrade my processor and graphics card later on? Thanks.

2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It seems like CPU grunt is what you're after. If not simply for performance, but you're on a budget I'd seriously consider hunting down an R2 with an 3920xm/3940xm that still has warranty. You should be able to upgrade your GPU going forward too. Yes those games will run.

vulcan78 likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    5 hours?!? Ouch! That's terrible. I am guessing you should be able to render that 10 minute video in roughly 15 minutes, depending on the output format, with that new machine. 770M is close to 7970M performance... a bit more than 580M/675M and a bit less than 7970M. So, yes... will play pretty much anything you want with an SLI setup.

4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    is the 770 the old 580m's ? i.e the 675m's..... just seeing a pattern since everything has been roughly rebranded so many times...

Anyways, also sounds like you need a mSata drive for the extra speed for rendering.... that surely will help abit too... get a cheap 70-80$ one and install it yourself (like 64gb or such, but make sure its got a 4-500mb/sec speed read/write etc) make it your cache drive, and where you move video files to and from.

I would recommend an r2 with an extreme cpu... and get a 680m instead of SLI 770m's.... then add anouther 680m in a year or so, if you desire... overall you'd get the same performance if not even better, and cost less.

if I had to guess, your rendering your video's at some higher then normal FPS too... maybe cut it down to only what you need...

5. Raiden Gekkou

Reputations:
    Thanks. I plan on upgrading the GPU sometime in the summer, but i'm just impatient now with my rendering needs, and because I need a laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution.

Good to know. My HD PVR Gaming Edition 2 records in 1080 MP4 at 14mbps, and I render with the same settings. I guess it's just because my current machine is weak.

The console games I play are only around 30FPS, and I render them with the same specs as the source media, so my laptop is probably just crap. I'm going to be getting the 256GB SSD Boot with the 1TB HDD. Would the SSD be able to do the same thing as the mSata?

6. YannC

YannC Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I believe the 256 GB SSD here is an mSATA. Basically an mSATA SSD is just a smaller version of a 2.5" SSD.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yep, as far as the bios and windows are concerned it is identical too.

8. Raiden Gekkou

Reputations:
    Man, I got the answers I needed and quick too. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.