Would you buy a Lenovo notebook again?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bengggggg, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's a very interesting statement. It suggests, among other things, that "bang for the buck" does not include the expectation and experience of "worthwhileness".

I would have thought that the phrase "bang for the buck" meant a price/ performance (including quality of build) equilibrium (such as is possible in "real life"), which could be expressed in terms of worthwhileness and other quantitative and qualitative measures. Naturally, individual buyers will determine where this point of equilibrium lies for themselves. In other words, your "bang for the buck" may not (and most likely will not) be the same as my "bang for the buck". It could be similar though.

All meant in jest!

In this connection, you know what is so weird and sometimes disorienting to me? If I did not chance upon the R400 at a serious discount (I simply got lucky), I would have bought a T400. We are talking of matters as they stood about a year back. The then cost of the T400 - at my location - was more than the average price of a similarly spec'ed T400 from the Lenovo website (not the Outlet) in the US. The story is the same today. A x201 at my end costs considerably more than an exactly spec'ed x201 in the US. And, if you throw in the coupons available, then the difference in costs are even more stark. One of the reasons, I avoid looking at the US Lenovo site and reading posts about discount coupons here on NBR! :D

2. yun

yun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo has best support and repair rate in NA
    I'd buy other one, if I need a business class notebook for work

3. admlam

admlam Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Been lurking for awhile but thought I'd chime again after a 2+ year hiatus.

The Ideapad U330 that I've reviewed below has treated me very well. Even though I dropped from a height of 5 ft onto a cement floor, resulting in cosmetic damage in the form of a hinge crack, it still has been working strong. Other than an upgrade to Windows 7, it is still in the stock configuration with no hardware upgrades. The only thing I'd want to replace is the battery, which has Sanyo cells at 84.2% wear right now (8.6Whr/56Whr).

Ideapad software and driver support has been a hit and miss for Lenovo. Only three issues were resolved over the life of this notebook - 1) Muting the boot-up jingle 2) New BIOS to support hybrid graphics under Windows 7 3) And more recently a resolution just last December to address the issue where both integrated and discrete graphics would remain on after booting up from hibernation.

With all that said, would I buy a Lenovo again? Yes. But I'll make it a Thinkpad this time for the supposedly more robust build quality and continuous driver/software support.

4. warmonked

warmonked Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    this is getting a little OT, but the rumors of the the ipad2 retina display have been basically squashed. The cost of a 10" display with a resolution better than most 22" monitors would be astronomical.

I totally agree with what you're saying about notebook displays though. In general, they suck. It seems like every manufacturer goes for the cheapest solution and doesn't even bother trying to offer better options.

5. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "I would have thought that the phrase "bang for the buck" meant a price/ performance"

It's not because I am rich. It must have to do with the fact that I refuse to include dollars in the equation for good computing. I believe in choosing the computer that you want and then finding how much you have to pay for it. Definately the computer comes before dollars.

Once again "price\performance" has "price" in it.

Renee

6. MikesDell

MikesDell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would defiantly buy another Thinkpad again ! (Regardless of who makes them). I've been nothing but 100% satisfied with my T61 for the past 3 years I've had it. So much so, I bought it a brand new smaller brother, the X301 last November to keep it company :) :)

My next Thinkpad will be in another 2-3 years, but if my T61 craps out (which, I'm hoping she'll keep going knock on wood) I'd go for a W7XX. Being I use my T61 for a desktop replacement, I'd rather just get the "mother of all Thinkpads", the 17 incher :)

7. halobox

halobox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To answer the question on the subject line of this thread, absolutely. I am very happy with the reliability of the ThinkPads I've used for work, and recommended or purchased for family members. No reservations at all buying another one.

I cannot say that for Dell or HP. Never had an ASUS, Acer, Sony or Samsung but I'm interested in the new Sammy 9 Series.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    In response to the central question, yes. I'm watching the new Thinkpad X120e closely, as well as the Thinkpad X-series tablet. The dilemma is whether to get a nice, portable supplement to my T500, or a new portable primary machine (which I would definitely wait a bit longer before getting, as my T500 is doing just fine).

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you're going to spend $500-600 for a new X120e, why not spend the same for a used or refurbed X20x machine then do the AFFS mod. It's faster and more durable with a better screen. I'm guessing the new tablets are going to be expensive when they're released. Plus they'll be 16:9 if you care. The flip side on your T500 is longer you wait, the less you get for it if you want to sell it.

10. lenardg

lenardg Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    MidnightSun,

I went with the portable supplement, and got myself an X201i last year to go with the T500 (which is doing just fine, also). I am very happy with my decision, except I found myself using the T500 less and less :)

In the future I will most definitely have to re-evalute the situation if I need two machines. Your idea of a portable primary machine might be the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.