Would it be enough a RAM upgrade or should I change the CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by dreamscreen, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @dreamscreen

Pop the case and inspect the memory and the ability to remove it. This gives you confirmation of whether both are removeable or not.

If you can remove both then for the maximum effect of RAM you want to swap both of them for a dual channel configuration.

8GB will get you by with most situations and 16GB will be a better situation to be in for the long term w/o having apps freeze / close on you while using them.

The cost of RAM isn't that bad these days with a legacy setup and the spread in cost shouldn't be much between the two options. A small splurge on 16GB will give a better experience in the long run.

If what you pick doesn't work then just simply return it and get a different configuration such as 2x4GB.

2. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much @Tech Junky , @etern4l and @Jdpurvis for your help and detailed explanations!

Excuse me for the delay, I've just had some time to open the case and check. Yes both RAM modules are removable, then I'm going to buy 2x8GB as you all suggest.

Looking on Amazon I would choose two modules of Crucial CT102464BF160B (DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64) for around 80€. At the same price I can find also Samsung but I would rather not since the vendor is different than Amazon. What do you think?

Still I'm worried for the different voltages: currently my RAM is 1.5 V, 1.35 V is supported?

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A lot of people down volt their systems to get better performance out of them so, you're already ahead of the game w/o having to mess with the voltage. Samsung vs Crucial.... it's all the same silicon at the end of the day in my book. I look more for capacity and price. Of course Amazon is a good option since you can return it for no reason if you see any issues or find a better option later on.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I remember looking at your CPU and it only supports DDR3 1333 not 1600, that said there should be no harm in buying the faster modules, they will down-clock if needed. I would pick Crucial (especially if the current module is also Crucial). These modules have good compatibility with various finnicky devices such as Macs and NASes. Good luck and do let us know how it went!

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    At this point you're throwing good money after bad by continuing to upgrade that laptop. A modern Chromebook will run circles around it in terms of performance, especially you can now install Android apps and Linus on one.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    According to the list of supported CPU's, you can go as far high up as i7-2715QE... but not sure if its BGA (I don't think it is) - and another issue with this is that its TDP is 45W - and most laptops with low powered CPU's can't technically 'handle' 45W TDP cpu's because it ends up running too hot for the cooling.

You could upgrade your laptop with Core i7-2640M (BGA) ... this would give you 500MhZ boost in clock at the very least, so a relatively small boost in CPU performance, but no increase in iGP.

1333MhZ DDR3 is the best you can go with for that system if I'm not mistaken... and 16GB of RAM (this would give you quite a good boost).
    Overall, if you upgrade the CPU and RAM, you'd pay about $114 for both.
    If its just the RAM you're upgrading, then you can get 1333MhZ 16GB (2x8GB) for about $58.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    He can upgrade the laptop for much less than the cost of a new Chromebook. The upgraded laptop should do very well against a Chromebook, which tend to be fairly weakly specified (which is fair enough given what they are meant for). He may not be interested in running Linux on his laptops, will all the associated pitfalls, and might prefer to just stick to Windows or simply require it given the software he runs. Lastly, he might have justifiable privacy concerns around Google products.

Case in point, I recently took a Toshiba with a dual core i5 cpu, and 8 GB of RAM and 5200 rpm HDD - it was crawling. It's like a completely new machine after an upgrade to 16GB RAM and a SATA SSD. Don't really see much difference in the usual web browsing and office tasks between that and a 6-core i7. It can even do some light gaming like Minecraft just fine.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes you are right, unfortunately my CPU supports up to 1333mhz. I've searched for 1333hz ram but I can find only 4GB modules. Currently there are on two modules of 2GB Samsung DDR3 1333mhz. If 1600mhz would work as well as 1333hz then I would choose 1600mhz just for practicity.

etern4l likes this.
  9. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean, are you suggesting the cpu isn't soldered on the motherboard as it seems?

In Europe the RAM seems to be quite more expensive (or at least searching for the brands I know as reliable): I found around 80€ for 2x8GB 1600mhz. 1333mhz seems impossible to find in modules of 8GB :-(

etern4l likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ah, my bad. BGA usually means 'soldered to the motherboard'... yeah, so no, you're stuck with that CPU.

I'm in UK (which is no longer part of EU, but it may take a bit of time before the stuff gets 'finalized' in terms of customs and shipping for certain things)... but I found the 1333MhZ memory modules of 2x8GB here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-...885969?hash=item2645727411:g:anwAAOSw0X5fVv2Y

And here's another set in Germany:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-8GB-16G...248612?hash=item54002db624:g:rGgAAOSw54xUWRF1

74.9 EUR (not quite 80 EUR but close enough I suppose).

Up to you to determine which one you'd find more affordable... but I'm telling you, having 16GB in your system will be definitely worth it, so I'd go for it. I remember paying $100 (and some change) for getting 2x4GB for my old Acer 5930G (back in 2010) - that unit originally shipped with 3GB RAM, so I figured going to 8GB was needed and it was definitely worth it at the time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021