Would it be enough a RAM upgrade or should I change the CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by dreamscreen, Jan 23, 2021.

1. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

I have got a Samsung QX511, a relatively old notebook with these specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M
    RAM: 4 GB
    SSD: Crucial CT500MX500SSD1

As you may notice, currently it's mounting a SSD instead of the original HDD (which now it is mounted as second drive in replacement of the DVD reader). After this small upgrade the computer is very fast and for my use I don't feel the need of a more recent one, a part when I use Google Meet. I don't like this platform but still I have to use it for my job. When I'm in a meeting the CPU is quite always nearly 100% of its performance, the RAM around 75%. This is quite frustrating as you can imagine. I use it with Firefox but I've tried also with Chromium with no difference.
    Could I solve this with a RAM upgrade? (would the CPU benefit of more RAM available?)
    Or should I upgrade the CPU? In this case I've found a second hand Intel Core i7-3520M (BGA) on a chinese web store for about 62$... Would it be a good purchase?

Thank you

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how you are planning to upgrade a BGA CPU - they are soldered into the PCB.

However, the 4GB is a disaster. Upgrade to 16, or at least 8GB and it will be like day and night.

Aivxtla likes this.
  3. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    :eek::D ahahah thank you for helping me avoid doing a big mistake! I didn't know it was soldered, I've found an article about upgrading CPU which says that if in the HWiNFO software the label "Processor Upgrade" was equal to "ZIF" then the CPU was upgradable :confused:

ok thanks! I'm not sure 16GB is supported by the motherboard, how can I know it? Which RAM would you suggest?
    In case would two sets of Crucial be ok? (e.g. Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT102464BF160B or Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT51264BF160B)

Otherwise, would it make sense to buy only a 8GB RAM block and then have a total of 10GB? (2GB + 8GB)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    etern4l likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The i5-2410M is socketed (PGA), not BGA.

OP can upgrade to a quad-core Sandy Bridge mobile CPU (i7-2xxxQM/XM), however depending on the notebook it may restrict it to 35W like the i5. The cooling also needs to be able to handle the increased 45W TDP of the quad cores.

Ivy Bridge mobile (3000 series) uses the same socket, but probably won’t work unless the BIOS supports it.

5. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you sure? In HWiNFO I've found this label:
    CPU Platform: BGA1023

etern4l likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ah, nvm. Seems you have have the BGA version of that CPU (it came in both PGA and BGA).

7. etern4l

Reputations:
    I would suggest:

1. get the supported SODiMM type from Hwinfo, by looking either at tee exisiting module type, or the chipset type
    2. Get the manual, user or service (or open the laptop up), to confirm the memory is indeed upgradeable, and how many SODIMMs are actually available.
    3. Assuming the laptop actually has SODIMMs, not soldered RAM, look up the max supported memory config by googling the chipset specification
    4. Get an appropriate 2 stick kit - only mix and match as the last resort (e. g. if only one slot is available)

HTH

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. dreamscreen

dreamscreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help! Currently there are two modules of 2GB DDR3-1333 Samsung Ram M471B5773CHS-CH9
    Basing on HWiNFO the chipset is Intel HM65 (Cougar Point) [B3], the CPU Intel Core i5-2410M
    Searching in Google I couldn't find a final answer. Some says 16GB are supported, others not. At the same time also 1333 o 1600 mhz can be both supported or not.
    What do you think? Perhaps 2x4GB 1333 would be the best solution?

9. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Crucial site seems to think that 2 GB of ram in your laptop is not removable, and that max total ram is 10 GB, achieved by adding 8 GB. You should check to see if one of your modules is not removable. You might check on the Samsung board here to see if anyone has experience - that would potentially supersede manufacturer's recommendations. Example: My Alienware m15x was supposed to only take 8 GB, per manufacturer. However, when I upgraded to 16 GB, Windows found it and it worked fine. Bios only saw 8 GB, but that apparently didn't bother the OS. If it turns out that both sticks of ram are removable, you could see if someone you know has a couple of 8 GB sticks you could try. Note - if spec is 1333, you could also use 1600 - however it is very likely to run at 1333.
    In any event, increasing ram is likely to make a real difference. 8GB may be a "sweet spot" for what you do, but more is almost always better.
    Keep us posted.

etern4l likes this.
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    Your CPU supports 16GB of DDR3 1333 RAM https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-2410m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

I'd follow the rest of the steps, including determination of the availability of SODIMM slots, and get either 1x8GB (for a total of 10), or 2x8GB kit depending on whether 1 or 2 SODIMMs are available.

As for 8GB being the sweet spot: 8GB is only enough for very careful usage - you won't be able to open too many tabs etc. I saw a primary schooler bring an 8GB machine to its knees doing little besides schoolwork. The extra memory will give you more leeway, and the extra memory is used in background for caching by the OS, and will further speed up your system.