Would anyone make this upgrade to the 6990s?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by daveh98, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    I just played BF3 beta, seems not much is noticeable beyond 2xMSAA especially will High Post-Processing AA on.

2xMSAA is plenty good.

4xMSAA and above is luxury for most high end laptops.

So going to back to the BF3 on M18X thread, I predicted the 6970M duals and above should be setting pretty. And turns out to be just that. (I was running stock clocks too)

As for the game, I haven't seen a lot of it yet but somehow I expected more in-terms of visual stunnning that we saw in the trailers. But this isn't the full game so I reserve judgement until then.

2. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    ^^^^^

That and campaigns typically play at higher settings. However if it doesn't look MUCH better, that is a gross misrepresentation of graphics!

3. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you have to play caspian border before making any judgements about the graphics, trust me!

4. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI - on a whim I decided to contact Dell to see if I could get a similar deal. No dice.

5. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you do manage on selling the 6970CF let me know , i would like to know if it is possible / not too much of a hassel.
    however , the performance diffrence between 6970 to 6990 cf is about 5-7% as can be seen on notebookcheck performance test AMD Radeon HD 6990M Crossfire - Notebookcheck.net Tech

they also have comparisment between 580 sli to 6990 and they say same thing that performance between thoes two to 6970 goes from 5-10%.
    you need to ask yourself if 600$ or 900% ( if u wont be able to sell the cards) and the hasseling realy worth it.

at the begining i thought of doing the same thing , but then i realised it would be a mistake becaus the 7000 radeon series will be out in the following year and that will be improvment of performance greater than 10-20%...more like 30-50% and then it be worth the hasseling of an upgrade along with the price, would feel like buying a new laptop only for much less even if the cards would cost 1k or 2k $ , untill then i dont see spending 6-900$ as a good investment...

6. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Yes in a few games like Crysis 2 the 6990M will flex its muscles (extra TUs) more than the 6970Ms, apart from that the gains are not that great. I was under the impression the 6990M generally overclocked higher, but it seems thats not very true listening to what people have been reporting as their MAX overclocks.

I would sell and get another system only if it came with dual 6990Ms and a 2920XM with a coupon making the price the same or close to what I paid for the current rig in my sig.

7. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for this. Great advice and makes me feel better :)

8. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    If 5870s are selling at 250 a piece no problem; the 6970 should sell very quickly; especially on the forums. I happen to have some greater overclokers as well. I imagine 350 a piece being very fair. Upgrade cost of 200. I can justify that discrepancy for 10-15% Sure games now may show 5-10. However Crysis 2, BF3 and shader instensive games will likely net a better result. Hey, if it works on to not play the games I want to play at the settings I want; money out of the window and a lesson learned. But I don't like playing the "waiting game" for the 7 series. If they are that much better (they will be) AND games are out that utilize that performance, I will likely sell the laptop. It will be much easier to sell it with 6990s. I may even throw in a 2920 just for selling purposes.

I am not in the notebook gaming business to make "sense" of money as I would merely have a desktop or an Asus/Clevo. I am in the business of spending a good amount of money upfront to play how I want to play for a few years. The 6970s are BEASTS; but i would like this upgrade that makes financial sense for me. 15% in Crysis 2 (thought it seems to show more) is the difference between min FPS in the 20s and min FPS in the 30s. Crysis franchise is my favourite; one of my favourites for single player. BF3 will benefit as well. Oh well; too late now. Cards are on their way:)

9. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    to be honest dont notice the difference at all between 6990s and 6970s. but then again im not using fraps 24/7 in my games. i used to do that back in the day and i consider it a sickness :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.