Would anyone make this upgrade to the 6990s?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by daveh98, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Specs in sig but I have the 6970sCF. I can get 2X 6990s for around 900ish and keep my existing videocards. I don't know how quickly they would sell in the marketplace or on ebay as I saw only 1 on ebay and it wasn't moving at 375. The cards would be installed for free and warrantied for 4 years.

I think my system performs great but Crysis 2 and BF3 seems to have a noticeable difference in gameplay. In Crysis2 I cannot maintain above 30FPS and that appears to be cake on the 6990s.

My original price after taxes and extensive discussion over extra savings due to not being able to change my config as the system was boxed when the 6990s debuted was 2400. This was a very fair deal for the time. So I am thinking my price now is 3300 but I get to keep and sell the 6970s. I THINK they would fly for 350 a piece. Which would bring me down to 2600 total Vs my 2400 total which to me is a worthwhile upgrade. However that is IF I can sell my 6970s without much hassle (don't sell stuff ever).

So what do you all think?

2. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We have pretty similar setups (I'm running stock clocks though), and here are my thoughts:

1) BF3 is in BETA, as are the drivers. Thus, there are bound to be some issues with performance. I'm seeing strange artifacting and stuff regardless of the driver I use, but I'm chalking that up to beta code for both the game and the driver. Also keep in mind that lag may be an issue. Game ran fine on Operation Metro for me because I was connecting to low ping servers. When I connected to a Caspian server, the only one I could find that was open was in the UK and had a ping of over 200. Thus, a noticeable slowdown. Also, someone else mentioned the XFire may actually cause issues, so you can try turning that off and testing.

2) Crysis 2 - what settings? I can run in in DX11 mode on Ultra and it's more than serviceable. What drivers/CAP are you running? I was using 11.8 CAP 4 and that helped a lot.

3) Dude, if you have $900 to burn on an upgrade, go for it. But it's $900.

3. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Hey Mike. I am running 11.10 no cap right now. Previous was 11.8 Cap 4. I would get 20s-70s. But on many parts the game would run 20s with fraps and was completely not playable to me. That was with dx 11 everything ULTRA.

I decided to do the upgrade. I am FAR from having 900 to burn. However, I can keep the videocards and just re-sell them. 6970s are really good cards and I should be able to sell on the forum or ebay for 350 a piece. My benches on the cards have been very high and have been posted through the benchmark section; stock and OC. Stock last night on the new drivers gave just over 21000 in vantage (keep in mind the 2720 does bottleneck). The test system techinferno used was identical to ours and benches 20,400ish but with older drivers. So the cards are perfect. Anyways. Figured a 200 dollar upgrade is worth it for the 6990s. I see no reason to sell for 350 a piece so I should net around a 200 difference for the upgrade, free installation and free 4 year CC warranty.

4. evil_mike

evil_mike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I guess for 200 bones, it's worth the upgrade, for sure. Where'd you get the new cards? Directly from Dell? Let us know how the new ones turn out.

5. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Yup ordered from dell. Should ship out today and then arrive for installation Saturday or early next week. Original price was 1300ish after taxes but they did seem empathic to my situation regarding how closely the new cards launched.

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    question...how come you just didn't send it back? im pretty sure i already know the answer :)D) but wanted to hear from you.
    with mine, i got lucky...i got it on 8/2/11(received date) and i sent it back for a full refund plus 200.00 on the 9/9/11(shipped date)

7. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    John, I paid with DPA and by the time the refund check hit and the processing time, I was out too much without a computer. Life finds you need things now when you don't have a laptop and funds being tied up with other life areas. Couldn't swing my debt to income ratio anymore. Ironically..it wasn't for gaming...which would normally not be the case

8. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    Crysis 2 is a very texture unit bound which is why the 6990Ms (56 TUs) do considerably better than 6970M (48TUs)

Battlefield is still not the retail version we have in our hands, plus the drivers need polishing time. So the jury is still out on that one. But most are having a good gamelplay already.

What AA setting where you using?

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    ahh...that makes a lot of sense then.

i have access to way to many types of machines for use..so being with out that would not hinder me from working.

this m18x is for work, play & benching as well. it will allow me to fix way more machines in a shorter amount of time.
    and with usb 3.0 and esata...checking drives or repairing servers is a breeze. since the laptop is usually faster than any machine they often have. :D

10. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Hey,

I was playing with 4x then dropped to 2x. I realize the retail is still not out and also that the drivers and game will likely polish. However, with patches, updates and mods, I find games tend to get a bit more intensive. Even Sans Orange Box update for CS:S, the constant updates made playing on max settings trying for my old 7900mGTX in my Dell XPS. Whereas, I used to play fine on my Pentium 4 XPS with an MR9800 (8 pixel pipelines)...generations of GPU's prior. And with Crysis 2, I know it's horribly coded, but I do love the series and honestly...just can't stand not playing max. I would say it sounds silly but most desktop diehards and even laptop enthusiasts would say owning an alienware is silly to begin with...so I guess I am just OCD with my gaming LOL.

I guess ultimately, I felt that the probable 200 dollar upgrade cost and the ease of someone else installing them (This machine is a lot more finnicky than my old R2), it just made sense. I bought my machine new and didn't luck out on the Outlet sales so I really do want to have the best performance that I can have. I can justify 200 dollars for 15% improvement in games. Hell, i will probably end up selling the system when the R2 hits and reaches maturity and heads to the outlet just because that is how I am with electronics. The 6970's are great cards but for the money I paid, I want to have the 6990s. I'll easily sell the 6970's and recoup a lot of my cost since they will be left with me after the free installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.