Would A RTX MXM Card be compatible with the M17x R4

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Crustieraxe01, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Crustieraxe01

Crustieraxe01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know this sounds kinda overkill and crazy, but would a RTX mxm card be compatible with the M17x R4?

FYI: I would never personally spend 1,200 USD to do this lol

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  2. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I remember seeing someone with a Quadro RTX 5000 in their M18x R2, so maybe. Don't get one of those though. RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080 modules may be coming out in standard MXM form factor this November: Zotac has officially abandoned the mxm format on the new EN72070V.

I don't think your idea is overkill at all. I want an RTX 2070 in my Ranger so I can play all my games at 120 FPS at 1080p resolution at high to ultra settings. A 1060 isn't enough for that in any of the games I have that were released after 2015.

@Baddemichl, how's that Quadro RTX 5000 working in your laptop? Does it work well in games?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Sounds good. Would also like to hear how good it works with these legacy alienwares

4. Baddemichl

Baddemichl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is working fine in games, But i only tested Wolfenstein Young Blood and doom ethernal at max settings.
    There is only one Limit. Max FPS are limited to 60 FPS ( 60Hz Display ).

5. Clamibot

Reputations:
    That's good news. The fact it works well in games on your machine bodes well for the rest of the upgradeable Alienware laptops released from 2012-2014.

6. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Would the CPU bottleneck if you had a 120hz display? What's the CPU/GPU usage looking like

7. Clamibot

Reputations:
    Honestly I highly doubt it. I have the 120 Hz display and the only thing bottlenecking my framerate in games is the GPU. The only time you'd experience a CPU bottleneck from the Core gen 3 and 4 CPUs is when using laggy unoptimized software, or software that can't take advantage of multiple CPU cores. In any case, the only reason you'd experience a CPU bottleneck is because of a software issue, not because the hardware isn't powerful enough. This may change with newer games, and those may require more CPU cores to run well, but most games should work well on the aforementioned CPUs.

8. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    What is your GPU Temp looking like under load? Just curious as I just installed a new 1070 and wanting to see if my temps are alright under load

9. Clamibot

Reputations:
    Around 158°F, or 70°C, usually a little bit lower if the GPU isn't running at full throttle. That's with the 1060 and the upgraded 5 heatpipe heatsink + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste. It'll probably be a little higher for the 1070. 176°F or 80°C should be okay. Personally I don't feel comfortable going past this on the GPU side.

10. Crustieraxe01

Reputations:
    Yup. Kinda running a bit toasty at 80C under full load which I'm not liking too much