Would a free anti-virus/firewall do?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by jam12, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    One program you might want to use/try also, is ThreatFire.
    It's a real-time anti-malware behavioural blocker which uses little resources/memory, it offers decent protection and doesn't conflict with Vista FW or Avira. And it's free.
    Those combined, offer a very decent FW, AV, AS/anti-malware package.
    Cheers.

2. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ThreatFire is way to intrusive. Yeah, it protects you but with a load of annoyances.

3. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Have you tried their latest and improved version?
    The level of 'annoyance' largely depends on the settings you use/alter yourself.
    If you crank it up from the standard level of protection, one should expect more warnings that require user input.
    (not meant as criticism, McGrady, just info for the OP).

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To be honest i dont even use a commercial firewall anymore. I just use windows built in firewall. Why? no one is gonna hack me behind my router's firewall. Its not gonna happen...NAT is a really good defense. And i dont do anything stupid to allow programs on my computer that could connect out (which a software firewall isnt gonna prevent anyways).

Wanna test me? ill gladly give out my IP like that guy gives out his social security number :p

Oh and for antivirus i just use symantec endpoint cuz i got it free from the university. Else i would use a free program.

5. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you get Comodo they have a guide on their forums to make a rule for uTorrent. They also have a new suite with AV now that supposed to be pretty good.

The other freebees in my sig should do you fine.

6. Aeris

Aeris Otherworldly

Reputations:
    Hehe, some freeware programs might do.

Personally, I use Avast! Home Edition, Comodo Firewall Professional, SpyBot Search & Destroy (TeaTimer + SDHelper), Malwarebytes' AntiMalware, Spyware Blaster and I maintain my PC in fit with TuneUp Utilities 2009, Sweepi and CCLeaner, so far nothing, absolutely nothing has been able to go through my freeware (TuneUp Utilities 2009 is the only non-freeware program in my arsenal, but it is not a security program anyway) fortress, I went as far as disabling the firewall on my routers (I have two routers), because Comodo is just good enough to take the lead.

On my browser (Mozilla Firefox), however, I use NoScript, McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT and AdBlock Plus, along with setting it to clear any traces of web browsing everytime I close it, so tracking cookies just do not stand a chance not even if the immunizations of both SpyBot S&D and SpywareBlaster did not catch them.

I do not really recommend you getting Comodo Firewall Professional if you do not know much about connections, networking, and do not like being annoyed every 5 seconds because "Program wants to access the screen directly", but, it does what it knows best, being the best freeware OS and Internet firewall. (If configured well enough.)

7. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Awesome! They both should work very easily for you! ;)

Let us know!

Cin ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.