Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by MolocM18x, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MolocM18x

MolocM18x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys i have a M18X R1 with dual 6970's with 2720qm i havent had any issues with gaming or anysort but use think worth while going for extreme cpu or and maybe dual 7970's much of a performance increase to notice? need some advice......

Cheers guys in advanced

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

2. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dual 7970m's will give you a really big performance increase. But since you don't have any issues you could perhaps wait until the next gen gpu's?

3. MolocM18x

MolocM18x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah was thinking that or maybe when new series come out the 7970 will drop in price also... But what use think about cpu?

4. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know much about cpu's really but I think when haswell comes out it will use a different socket so you'll need to swap your motherboard/entire laptop when you want to upgrade to haswell. So you could upgrade to an extreme ivy bridge cpu right now or wair until haswell comes out and buy the extreme IB for a little less money.

Either way, when you can wait you will get newer and faster parts for the same price or the same ones you can buy right now for less money.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    8970M is just around the corner, might as well wait for the new gen. That's what I'm gonna do, it seems...

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Definitely worth it, if you're comparing performance to your current setup. The 7970M's are reliable cards and very powerful compared to your current setup. The 7970M's are arguably not as reliable as NVIDIA, although, ever since the 12.11 Beta drivers, I haven't heard anything but positive feedback from owners. ;)

However, because of the AMD history with driver support/issues, I would highly recommend an NVIDIA setup over AMD any day.

7. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure why no one else pointed this out but, you cannot use Ivy Bridge CPU's in the R1 without a motherboard upgrade which is much more involved. The best CPU for you is the 2920XM or 2960XM (I wouldn't know which one to choose, since both should overclock to about the same level with individual variations between chips).

8. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry MolocM18x I was not aware of this.

9. MolocM18x

MolocM18x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    CPU wise I new they were my options and only options they worth upgrading to to what I have now? also GPU might wait for next gen I also prefer NVIDIA I been a fan boy always but had bad experience with ATI once card almost melted driver failure 4870x2 lol so never had ATI since until this laptop...

Had a M17X before this with 580m had throttle issues yes done all the cooling mods and repaste worked for a while...

So now after experience the ATI and NVIDIA I don't mind what I have... long as it brings me power to play any games

CPU was just an addon since most games are GPU heavy then CPU but thought i get ideas if it was worth the upgrade or not CPU would it increase performance to notice i ment...

Thanks guys for all your help really great full

10. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the gpu: If I was in your situation I would save my money, skip 7xxx and 6xx generation and buy even more awesome cards when my 6970m's finally start having problems running games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.