Worth getting duel OCZ Vertex 4

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Throbin, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Dunno about Samsung and Vertex4 but I'm not sure more expensive always means better quality. Crucial M4 is one of the cheapest out there and yet it's very reliable (at least from my experience). Also, Vertex4 seems to be far more reliable than their previous gen, so dunno. If I were to buy an ssd right now, I'd probably give OCZ a chance or go with the proven M4.

2. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't recommend ocz only for the fact that two of my friends have had DOA drives from them (ocz petrol and ocz vertex). The replacement drives however were nice. The one with the petrol ended with an ocz octane after two doa drives. The one with the vertex 4 also has a Samsung 830, and the vertex is faster.

Personally I have an agility 3, 360gb for $200 was too hard to pass on back in July. Being that they are not reliable for others, i might not get another ocz drive although my.experience thus far has been good. I might just be lucky :) That said, I still keep backups to a Seagate HDD with rsync just in case.

Although I can't recommend an ocz drive on these grounds, if I catch a 480/512gb vertex 4 on sale and cheaper than Sammy 830 512gb around holidays, I will get the vertex hehe.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

3. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    I have had vertex3 120GB for 2 years, performance could have been better and yada yada but it was all good and I just dont have it more as it sold with my old rig, but now for last 6 months I have pair of vertex4 256GB ssd's and they did perform fantastically well in my old rig, but not in M18X as RAID, they do run individually ok but not RAID, hence I want these sell these cheap and get else as I want RAID SSD in my alien, but if you plan run just 1 I see nothing wrong with vertex4.... but if you havent bought 1 yet, go samsung or crucial m4 ;)

its something to do with M18X R2 & Vertex4 firmwares makes them so incompatible in RAID... nor OCZ nor AW groups replied with solutions, and I did submit emails to both groups trough each tech depo individually....

just buy samsung or other make but not OCZ if you plan RAID SSD setup

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have ran almost all the ocz drives and I would have to say...the maxiops edition is by far the best they made. Im running vertex 4's in raid now. They seem very stable, but the maxiops are faster. Not like the first gen vertex. Pretty fast for the most part. And handle 4k writes well. As to recommending...it's up in the air, but they do seem to be far better than in the beginning years.

5. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am an M4 guy myself and I do completely agree. The thing is that in the equation M4 vs what 840 pro offers, M4 is starting to show its age. Half (or more) of 4k speeds, half of seq. write speed, half of samsung's cache and much much higher power consumption. M4 is an awesome drive, still, rock solid stable, yet it slowly becomes a last year hype, if I can say so. Let's face it. Plus, 5 years warranty for 840 pro is impressive as well.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I never had anything but excellent results with my 128GB Crucial M4 SSDs. I would be running them in RAID0 right now instead of the OCZ Agility 3's except for their capacity is too small. I have twice the drive space with the OCZ drives. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with either 256GB or 512GB Crucial M4 or Samsung PM830/840 SSD drives.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Samsung seems like a solid choice, judging by reviews so far, but I'm reluctant to pay 100-150$ extra per drive. I need 3 of those and that would mean ~500$ extra. Dunno, I'm hoping to see something new from Crucial soon, something comparable to 840 in terms of performance but paired with proven stability and good price.

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're going with 3, just don't forget that raiding them would be a bad move....two sata III ports and one sata II in the R2 caddy = raid at sata II 3gbps speeds.....I'd certainly agree with the Samsung 830/840's though :thumbsup:

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know. It's gonna be 2 in RAID0, + 1 + mSATA + 1 in optical bay

10. Dain54

Dain54 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another choice is Sandisk's Extreme SSD series. They are relatively cheap and very reliable from my experience. I have had a 240gb for almost a year and a half now without any problems. I owned an Crucial m4 SSD for awhile before that, but it just wasn't fast enough to my taste.

I have built three desktops with the Samsung 830 platform as a boot drive/storage drive and all three desktops can boot up in just about 10 seconds or less. They also can fly at around 350~450 miles per hour under high levels of air resistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.