Worth getting duel OCZ Vertex 4

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Throbin, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throbin

Throbin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i need advice on these ssd's or any you guys would recommend?

was looking at the samsung 830 but noticed these bad boys also.

cheers

2. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    'zamzung' is releasing the 840 line (apparently standard and pro). if you are buying new drives, you may want to look at those. google will tell you that 840 is supposed to be quite faster at sequential write and random 4k write/read speeds than 830. I am running intel/crucial/corsair and if I were buying new drives, I'd go samsung 840 pro.

Nothing on samsung com yet, but look at those specs (schreiben=writing, lesen=reading):

Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7PD256BW) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7TD250BW) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

vs.

Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7PC256B) Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

Hope this helps.

3. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    go for the samsung, much higher quality.

4. Throbin

Reputations:
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So, £50 more expensive is too much for something that works better and should last at least 5 years? :confused: That £10 per year (£0.83 per month) seems like a minuscule cost difference to pay for something appreciably better. I think it's better to pay a little more now and forego the regrets later on.

6. mp5cartman

mp5cartman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Samsung all the way! Excellent reviews, reliability & performance. You get what you pay for. The reason why OCZ is always on sale is because it has a lot of issues with them, specially the sandforce based once. Well most sandforce based ssd suck, like the mushkin you mentioned. After researching more about the Vertex 4 it looks like it improved because of them moving back to the indilinx controller. Still, i wouldn't go back with ocz so I still recommend samsung 830 OR the crucial m4.

7. Throbin

Reputations:
    £400 ($645) seems abit steep for me tbh

830 has alot of good reviews! but a lot of people say its slower performance wise?

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There is a valid reason prices are dropping on certain brands of SSD drives, but it's not necessarily a good thing as much as it is an expected outcome, especially in the case of Sandforce controller based products. I have OCZ Agility 3 SSD drives and I have zero respect for Sandforce Technology. I won't be lured into spending my money on any SSD with Sandforce again. It's garbage in my opinion. Take it from me, bro. I learned my lesson the hard way. Inexpensive is not necessarily a good thing. The amount of forgiveness I can extend for lackluster performance in the name of affordability is limited.

Beware of advertised speeds of many SSD drives with a Sandforce controller. They surreptitiously tout them as being fast, but that is only a half-truth because it is typically fast only with compressible data. With incompressible data, they're often not very fast in comparison to SSD drives that are not Sandforce controller based. They often only advertise the benchmark results with compressible data because nobody would want them if they advertised the performance with incompressible data. So, do a deep dive on their performance numbers and only buy what you can verify to not be junk.

I'm even skeptical of the new Intel SSD products that use Sandforce technology because it has historically been a mediocre product. It would not surprise me to see Intel completely overhaul it or scrap it in favor of something else and recycle the Sandforce brand name. I will say this... if anyone can fix it and turn the sow's ear into a silk purse, Intel would have my vote. I'm waiting to see how that turns out in the long run.

The Vertex 4 and Indilinx controller seems to perform very well. The performance/reliability results have been a little bit inconsistent for some members of our community.

They are not that expensive; at least not here... try closer to $270.00 for a 256GB PM840 Pro.

9. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Get the Samsung 830 Series SSD. I just bought one for $169.99 - totally worth it. If you must have another 50 mb's write and 50 mb's read, get the 840 pro series. The difference is hardly noticeable.

You can't go wrong with Samsung these days.

10. tetsussaiga

tetsussaiga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1 vote here for the samsung 840 pro too. Vertex 4 was the leader in random 4k reads/writes but according to recent reviews now a new king has emerged... and I would generally trust samsung much more in terms of reliability than OCZ.

Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.