Worries about Alienware 18 Battlefield 4 performance. Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by orancanoren, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy an Alienware 18 next month and here are the important specs:

CPU: intel core i7 4800mq

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 880m SLI (2x8 gb - 16 gb total vRAM)

RAM: 16 gb 1600 MHz

I heard about "resolution scale" for battlefield 4 and this thing improves the image quality so much. With the system specified at top, can I play battlefield 4 on ultra with a resolution scale 200 with minimum 35-40 fps? I am spending $3200 on a laptop and I want to be able to play with the top image quality. If not do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It will be able to handle BF4 fine...lol. :rolleyes:

Those two 880M's are better than a desktop GTX 690. A single 880M should handle BF4 pretty much how the 780M does. On my old system, I saw around 50 FPS on Ultra, and that was with a single 780M.

3. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Resolution scale is basically super sampling (SSAA) (a method to reduce aliasing or the jagged edges at the expense of a big fps hit), some people love it others prefer MSAA. Personally I cant tell the difference between 2x SSAA (200% resolution scale) and 4x MSAA unless I stop and look really hard at the screen, which means I'm not really playing the game. Either way the 880s will be fine at ultra with either 200% resolution scale or 4x MSAA and probably both based the performance J.Dre has given for a single 780m

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    When I am enjoying a game, I don't notice any difference between high, higher, and crazy high quality settings. When I pay a lot of attention to quality settings to the point I can notice a difference I'm typically not being captivated by the game itself and often lose interest in playing that title.

kenny27, ltcmdrQ and n=1 like this.
  5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Are you mad bro? Your buying that to play BF4 on max res? I can easily do that with my setup and its half the price.. And probably should be able to play BF5 on high... Personally, I would get the M17 with 1 880M and it will be more than enough...

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No point in cutting corners unless you just want to save a few bucks, which is OK if that's the goal. The 18 will be more than enough for longer than the 17 will, and it will do everything better and faster in the meanwhile. Nothing wrong with the 17, but some want more than a machine that is "good enough" when it comes to having a beast.

ltcmdrQ likes this.
  7. syntaxvgm

syntaxvgm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree. 2 GPUs make a world of difference for the lifetime of it as a gaming machine, if maxing everything out isn't a need obviously.

8. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I just got relaxed. The reason I am seeking a good performance on bf4 is not because I pay lots of attention to the graphics. I want this machine to take me for at least 4-5 years and if it can't handle games we play these days on max settings I don't think I can play games maxed out 2-3 years more. That's why. Thanks again for your replies. I will get the system.

9. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's great to hear you'll be joining the community soon. If you need any assistance from tech support feel free to contact me via PM.

10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Its funny how BF4 is kind of the benchmark for building machines. When I had my little issue with my 18 the AW technician on the phone said what the problem, said I was playing BF and poof. He said must have been battlefield 4? I said yep. So it seems the game is well known for taxing any current hardware. LOL...

Awesome machine OP, my AW14 can play BF4 decently on medium/high settings and my 17 and 18 is smooth as butter with 780's. Matter of fact the coding in BF4 is so bad it almost doesn't matter how high end of a system you get it only runs so fast right now it seems. Hopefully they will get the code optimized soon and over time.

Mr. Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.