Work/School/Game - Would love something that does all three!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by haisai_uchina, Jan 24, 2019.

1. haisai_uchina

haisai_uchina Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$1,500 - $2,000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, Dell, ASUS
    b. Dislike: N/A

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Redistributed, if reseller offers warranty

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

MS Office products, VMs with EVE/GNS3 for CCIE training as well as building test configs for work, and gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Dungeon crawlers, RTS, FPS, action adventure titles like DOOM (all the DOOMs but especially graphically intense DOOM), Mass Effect, StarCraft 2, Ark, Portal, Total War, and other stuff.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

5 - 6 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Buying it online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

As long as it's easy to carry

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Would like 1 TB SSD storage, though buying separately and replacing it myself might be less expensive

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

After next gen starts selling on the 29th

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

Hopefully more than five years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

A while; I primarily use my desktop at home

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Either/or - I plan on purchasing with a credit card to take advantage of extended warranty services

*** Computer knowledge is good; however, I haven't looked into getting a quality laptop before. I'm a little cautious to put a lot of money into a laptop that will have a lot of power and could potentially fry the mobo in a short time. Though I've built desktops and have worked on many computers, I've never resorted to overclocking, undervolting, repasting, or delidding and I want to make sure I know all the right info before jumping the gun for a purchase that will potentially need work. Ideally, I'd like this purchase to last, at the least, for five years.***

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are few laptops with such long battery life and gaming capabilities. My suggestion is the MSI GS65, bought OBLIGATORY with the top of the time thermal mod option.

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^This, Thats why its a tough call. With your budget you can easily get a laptop with a 1070GTX but you'll sacrifice battery life for more gaming power/future proofing because majority of laptops that comes with a 1060GTX and above dont use Nvidia Optimus.

Im gonna to suggest the Dell XPS which comes with a 1050ti and it has great battery life which fits your needs plus it has a professional look instead of the typical gaming laptop look.

4. haisai_uchina

haisai_uchina Newbie

Reputations:
    What would you consider the best thermal option for this? I've seen some recommend thermal paste, some have recommended liquid metal, and others have only recommended undervolting; it's all inconsistent. I've had my eyes on the GS65 for awhile.

5. haisai_uchina

haisai_uchina Newbie

Reputations:
    Dell XPS looks to be a prominent machine that fits my requirements. I'm not terribly concerned with a professional look as I am with good quality. A common message I've seen with laptop builds and the 8th gen i7 processor is that thermals are usually really high. I'll have to research the XPS and see how everyone feels about cooling.

6. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I recommend the GS65. It hits all of your needs.
    Personally, I used it for school, work, and play. It's VERY portable because it's under 4.5lbs and can last 8 hours on battery (for productivity only).

7. haisai_uchina

haisai_uchina Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! How did you manage cooling?

8. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had my unit repasted with liquid metal before it shipped to me.
    I also undervolted the CPU and created a custom fan profile. I have no issues with heat at all.

9. haisai_uchina

haisai_uchina Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you have thermal pads installed as well? I'm a little hesitant as liquid metal will react to the copper heat sink over time. I'm looking for longevity over anything else.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The ONLY option is liquid metal.
    You might also be able to get the GS63, altough it's an older model, it still comes with the Intel 8th Series and GTX 1060. I think it's on sale at BestBuy.
    Despite being older, the GS63 has a better cooling solution than the GS65.